Problems with APP-V 4.6 sequencer (all versions of 4.6) doing open for upgrade and save as a new RRS feed

• Question

• We have stopped using the APP-V 4.6 sequence because of a major issue with doing an open for upgrade on an existing sequence. Per example when we install during monitoring with any version of app-v 4.6 sequencer, word 2003. And we install this under Q:\test.a00\microsoft office\ and save it all is ok. When we do an open for upgrade on this sequence and save it in a new asset folder Q:\test.p00 and open the registry I can see that all reference to Q:\test.a00 have not been changed to Q:\test.p00 thus making the word application within the sequence inopperable! I will also make a case at microsoft but I hope this is also seen by other people. I have tried to make more sequences but all show the same result. With app-v 4.5 the registry is correctly updated with the new asset folder name.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 9:37 AM

Answers

• Hello,

See this post;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvclients/thread/d9ebed09-511b-4929-a190-3548a1576934

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:36 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:08 PM
  • THANK YOU ZNACK! It works!

After my first test, this Hotfix #3 seems to work! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2571168 

I'm going to do some more testing with branch upgrades, but so far I'm real thrilled about this!

Really appreciate your help guys! After i do some more testing, I'll update this post.

Friday, July 29, 2011 3:55 PM

All replies

• There are two things you can do with an existing package.  One is to open for upgrade and save (as an upgrade), the other is to open for upgrade and save as new package.

Saving as an upgrade (which is just saving, there is nothing that says save as upgrade) does not allow you to change the asset folder (test.00).  Save as new allows you to provide a new asset folder and new package name.

Save as new will modify all references, including those in the virtual registry, to point to the new locations.  It is possible that you would need to exit the sequencer and re-open the package in order to see those changes; I have never just looked at them in the GUI after doing the save as new but suspect the save as new only made the changes while writing out the package, giving you a bad idea of your problem.

Saving as new requires you to make additional changes to the shortcuts during the upgrade process, unless you completely remove the old package before deploying the new.  By the way, upgrading packages is one of the skills that I find very few "experienced" sequencers that have never been formally trained know how to do correctly when they attend our training classes.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:45 AM
  • Hi Tim,

This is daily work my as an experienced sequencer. I am already doing in depth sequencing on daily bases. I have had feedback from Microsoft who acknowledged that this is a problem and they sent it through to the product group support to see if they have a fix or can make a patch to fix this issue.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:12 AM
  • Hello,

Tim, Active Upgrade is a bad idea :P 

(see, even Microsoft didn't test the feature!)

(just teasing.. :)

/Znack

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Hi,

the issue described above (App-V Sequencer not replacing the "old" Primary Directory by the new one when using "Save as New Package") is a "know bug" for Microsfot. They are currently working on a solution.

If you know that you are going to "branch" application packages, try to install them to C: during monitoring. (but still have the Primary Directroy on Q:) and see if that works.

Or, use some "Registry Search and Replace" tool to do that job.

Falko
    Monday, October 18, 2010 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update on this please? In our enterprise environment, the branch update is preferred method for testing new upgrades for App-V apps, but so far none of them worked. The active upgrade worked great so far, but it limits our testing options prior to release to production env. We have small number of virtual apps out in production and there are hundreds more lined up as we've just started implementing App-V. Testing of App-V is done in isolated test lab that mimics production (including AD infrastructure, App-V servers, SCCM...etc).

So far, I've tried all documented ways of doing Save As new package (to be honest, I haven't found clear and in-depth instructions yet!), which gets published successfully to clients, but such package always fails to launch on App-V client ("Invalid Directory" error most of the time, but sometimes different). I've tried all the documented troubleshooting but none of it made any change.

Some reference links to more detailed instructions on how to do app-v branch upgrade would be great. The ones I found so far published by MS are so vague that makes it so much confusing and prompt for many more questions.

In example, when one opens a package for  upgrade, does the package name needs to be changed on the first screen in sequencer upgrade wizard? Does it matter, as it can be changed later during Save As?!

Then, after a patch is applied and one modifies app name and/or version, does OSD file name needs to be changed as well in the same dialog box?!

Or, that pop-up dialog (with two options: Open This Package and Open this package for upgrade) when Save As is performed (and after the upgrade is done!) is confusing like ____!? I just upgraded the package and saved it as a new package, so why I would need to upgrade it now or even open it again???

Any help, please and thanks!

Friday, November 5, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Just to clarify the above, the issue is only with Sequencer version 4.6. The same branch upgrade method used with Sequencer v.4.5 works just fine!
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 4:34 PM
  • The described issue should be solved with the upcoming version of the Sequencer. Sequencer 4.6 SP1 is scheduled for Q1/2011.

It appears that there will be no intermediate update for the Sequencer that fixes this earlier.

Falko
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:25 PM
  • I just got a reply from Microsoft that doesn't make me happy at all, because it is the strenght of this product to follow change procedures in an enterprise environment and also ensure that the production sequence is the exact same sequence as was tested in test! Below their response:

The feature that was in the previous versions of the sequencer was something that didn't work 100% of the time. Therefore the feature was removed from the product.

Renaming the package root was not a supported way to upgrade applications.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:10 PM
  • HI Falko,

where did you get this information from? :-)

/Sebastian

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Hi Sebastian,

I also received that information initialy from MS that it would be fixed in SP1 But later they changed it to we do not support it anymore and we removed the feature without telling our customers. But to make it even weirder they kept the save as choice in place.... which is not working

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:46 AM
  • Hi Sebastian,

I also received that information initialy from MS that it would be fixed in SP1 But later they changed it to we do not support it anymore and we removed the feature without telling our customers. But to make it even weirder they kept the save as choice in place.... which is not working

I just received a message from Microsoft that the product team is going to reopen the issue. So have to wait some more for a resolution :-)
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:16 AM
  • Erik van Strij de Regt - How do I contact you via e-mail please?
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Finally Fixed in 4.6 SP1
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:21 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:55 AM
  • To add some more detail:

You need to use the Command Line Sequencer to change the Decodepath to the "new" Reoot folder and later just save as new Package to get the new guid.

SFTSequencer /UPGRADE:packagetoupgrade /INSTALLPACKAGE:installpackage /OUTPUTFIL

E:outputfile [/DECODEPATH:path] [/FULLLOAD|/LAUNCHALL [/UPTIME:seconds]| /LAUNCH

:executable1.exe,... [/UPTIME:seconds]] [/PACKAGENAME:packagename] [/COMPRESS] [

/MSI]

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:17 AM
  • hello,

And a reference to your blog-entry Sebastian;

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sgern/archive/2011/03/02/10135904.aspx

/Znack
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:22 PM
  • Hi again,

I waited for new SP1, in hope the branch upgrade is fixed. Tried it, tested it, tried different approaches... still no go. "Invalid Directory" or other error messages.

4.5 still does branch upgrades just fine.

So, too bad for all the waiting on some improvement in 4.6. None here.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:56 PM
  • Hi there,

we should see this adressed in a new Sequencer post SP1. Please stay tuned...

You will get the Bits in one of the upcoming Updates for SP1.

/Sebastian

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Thanks Sebastian!
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:18 PM
  • More on the issue in Tim Mangan's blog: http://www.tmurgent.com/TmBlog/?p=402 , where it seems that now even Active Upgrade is having the same problem on 4.6 SP1, if apps are sequenced using their default C:\Program Files install location.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Hello,

See this post;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvclients/thread/d9ebed09-511b-4929-a190-3548a1576934

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:36 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:08 PM
  • THANK YOU ZNACK! It works!

After my first test, this Hotfix #3 seems to work! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2571168 

I'm going to do some more testing with branch upgrades, but so far I'm real thrilled about this!

Really appreciate your help guys! After i do some more testing, I'll update this post.

Friday, July 29, 2011 3:55 PM
  • That is very good to hear. We need this Branching functionality badly here, but have not had a chance to try it yet. Please keep us posted.

Friday, July 29, 2011 3:57 PM
  • I apologize for delayed response, as I've been away. I can confirm that this hotfix worked for branch upgrade on each test I tried so far.

Few things to note... When downloaded, you'll notice that the hotfix package is around 70MB compressed, which includes Ap-V Sequencer, App_V RDS Client and Windows Desktop App-V Client, and all available for 32-bit and 64-bit OS.

I only used Sequencer for my testing on existing 4.6 clients. Sequencer installer is AppV4.6SP1-SEQ-KB2571168-x86.exe. You'll also need to uninstall old 4.6 SP1 Sequencer before installing this one on your sequencing machine.

All in all, quite happy so far, as upgrading apps will become way easier in the future. Thumbs Up to Microsoft team for making this fix!!!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:52 PM
  • That is great news... thank you very much for returning the test results to the forum!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:59 PM