i have problem in my dvd drive! please help RRS feed

• Question

• hi

im running vista premium and my dvd rw suddenly had stopped working

when i put any type of cd in the driver a letter comes up and says plz insert a disc!!

i followed the instructions in troubleshooting drive detection problems and i've checked the drive in the device manager/ DVD CD-ROM drivers  and it said this device is working properly!!

so what is the problem and how i can fix it?!

Saturday, June 14, 2008 10:03 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2 Delete Filter Drivers

======================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Step 3 Reinstall the DVDRW

=====================

1. Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3. Right-click the DVDRW and click Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer.

To get the issue resolved in a timely manner, I recommend also contacting your computer manufacturer.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:34 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2 Delete Filter Drivers

======================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Step 3 Reinstall the DVDRW

=====================

1. Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3. Right-click the DVDRW and click Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer.

To get the issue resolved in a timely manner, I recommend also contacting your computer manufacturer.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:34 AM
  • I have the same problem where itunes says

'Warning.  The registry setting used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing.  This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software.  Please reinstall iTunes.

When I follow the instruction above, the upper and lower filters dont appear (or if they do I dont know what I am looking at), the key only appears in the left hand pane, can any one tell me what to do to make it work (sorry I am not a tech head)

Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:53 AM
  • Hi

This is an error message coming from iTunes.

For iTunes specific support, please go the following websites.

Apple - Support - Discussions - iTunes:
    http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=149

Apple - Support - iTunes:
    http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

Thanks for understanding.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:45 PM
  • Hey, i was told to look at this for directions on fixing my cd drive. Its possible that i will be soon be getting a new cd drive that will be the same or a similar to the one i have currently. If i were to do this just to see if it will work, and it messes up, will it affect the new cd drive or prevent the current one from being fixed by some pc repair if i do not get a new cd drive?

My pc has screwed up enough times and i really dont want to keep paying to fix these problems and if it will do more harm than good then i would like to know before i do it.

thanks

-Flashback

Friday, December 5, 2008 2:23 AM
  • Hi

I have tried the itunes help area but it it basically the same message as above and I still dont know what the upper and lower filters are, any help would be appreciated

Friday, December 5, 2008 7:46 AM