Word shows black border around inserted images RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few users on Windows 7 Professional 64bit using Office 2007 pro. When they attempt to import an image (company logo) to the document, word often places a thin black border around the top and the left hand side of the image. You can not turn the border off in the image properties, as it shows "no border" is selected. We have tested with many different image formats and it appears to occur randomly with all different image formats.

The border usually does not appear until after saving the document.

They cannot simply crop the border out because it adversely affects the quality of the company logo.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I am pulling my hair out over this one. Has anyone else experienced this issue or perhaps have a solution?

Thank You

Update: This only occurs when saving as "Word Document". When saving as "Word 97-2003 document" it does not put the border in, but they end up with formatting problems in very large documents if they use the compatibility option.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:35 PM

Answers

•  

Hi SouthTx_Red,

I believe the underlying issue for the behavior you’re seeing is the image properties/color profile combination for the images you’re inserting into Word 2007.

If you have access to an image editor like Adobe Illustrator, or some other editor that allows changing the properties on the image, please try the following combinations of image properties with a .jpg format (for example), and test whether the line on the top and left of the image persists.

CMYK Color Space - JPG Saved in CMYK Color Mode - With Color Profile

CMYK Color Space - JPG Saved in CMYK Color Mode - Without Color Profile

CMYK Color Space - JPG Saved in RGB Color Mode - Without Color Profile

RGB Color Space - JPG Saved in RGB Color Mode - Without Color Profile

RGB Color Space - JPG Saved in CMYK Color Mode - Without Color Profile

Please reply and let us know whether any of the above combinations resolved the issue in your environment.

Regards,

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:46 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi SouthTx_Red,

Try this in one of the PCs and check the results with a new file:

1) Press the keys: "Windows" + "R"

2) Type REGEDIT

3) Open the following Hives, one after another:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER,  SOFTWARE,  MICROSOFT, OFFICE,  12.0

4) Inside 12.0, rename "Word" to "Word.old"

5) Exit REGEDIT, create a new file and try inserting the logo and save the file to see the results

If fixed and everything is just fine, do the same on the other machines

Hope it Helps,

renatoabc

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Thanks so much for the reply! I attempted this solution but I am still having the same problem.

I am also able to reproduce the problem on my machine, which is win7 32 bit with office 2007.

I spoke with the graphics artist who designed the logos they are having problems with, and she says that the problem images are created as JPEG-RGB files, if that helps.

Any more suggestions?

Again, thanks so much for your reply!

Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:15 PM
  •  

Hi SouthTx_Red,

I believe the underlying issue for the behavior you’re seeing is the image properties/color profile combination for the images you’re inserting into Word 2007.

If you have access to an image editor like Adobe Illustrator, or some other editor that allows changing the properties on the image, please try the following combinations of image properties with a .jpg format (for example), and test whether the line on the top and left of the image persists.

CMYK Color Space - JPG Saved in CMYK Color Mode - With Color Profile

CMYK Color Space - JPG Saved in CMYK Color Mode - Without Color Profile

CMYK Color Space - JPG Saved in RGB Color Mode - Without Color Profile

RGB Color Space - JPG Saved in RGB Color Mode - Without Color Profile

RGB Color Space - JPG Saved in CMYK Color Mode - Without Color Profile

Please reply and let us know whether any of the above combinations resolved the issue in your environment.

Regards,

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:46 AM
    Answerer
  • I had the same problem with my specs: Win7 64bit with 32bit Office 2010

Saved JPG image with RGB Color Mode in Photoshop. Color profile didn't matter. I think it's because Word uses RGB as the color model. You can also use HSL, but not CMYK.

I'm so glad I came across this post!! I've been trying to figure this issue out for months!

Friday, April 8, 2011 4:22 PM
  • picturesque and MS - Thank you so much for this answer. It's been driving me crazy for months. I opened in photoshop and went to Edit/Convert to Profile/Adobe RGB(1998), Microsoft ICM, Relative Colormetric ...SAVE... and it's good to go. No more black lines. 

Thursday, August 4, 2011 11:09 PM