Domain rename RRS feed

• Question

• I inherited a domain called abc.office.company.com. It is the forest root, with no subdomain. I want to rename it to abc.company.com, or preferably just company.com The forest is at 2008R2 functional level. I have 2 DC, 2008R2, which holds the FSMO roles, and 2012R2. I can demote the 2008R2 DC if needed. 

Can the rename be done using rendom? 

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 6:42 PM

Answers

• Hi

Create a random domain (ex;contoso.com),migrate resources from abc.Office.company.com to random domain,then will configure trust between random domain and company.com,finaly migrate resources from random domain to company.com

1-abc.office.company.com -> Random domain (contoso.com)

2- random domain -> company.com

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Thursday, December 24, 2015 5:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mary Dong Friday, January 1, 2016 1:28 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2015 7:14 PM
  • Hi andersonhaulage,

Aggree with Burak, if you couldn't establish trust directly between the two domains. Setting up another domain might be another good choice. And you could use migration tool ADMT to do migration.

Here is the thread discussed before, it might be helpful.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/23de1be8-7aa8-4623-84fd-da233c57d93b/merge-2-domain-with-same-name?forum=winserverDS

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 5:53 AM

All replies

• The answer is a qualified yes. And no need to demote the 2008 R2 DC. See this link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738208%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

In particular, not the restrictions if you have Exchange.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Directory Services)

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 6:48 PM
  • Hello Anderson, 

yes you can but I wouldn't suggest. There is an extrem amount of manual work after renaming the domain and the last times I saw domains after renaming, they were extrem faulty and no running well. 

You should plan to migrate the domain to the new name. 

Additionally I wouldn't suggest to use company.com as DNS name because you can run into several DNS issues in the future. Use company.local or abc.company.com 

Kind regards, Flo

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 6:50 PM
  • No Exchange.

I've uses company.com in the past with no issue. Just have to use a split DNS.

I originally wanted to just stand up company.com, but I can't establish a trust between abc.office.company.com and company.com because the trust will not route.

If you know a way around that it would be great.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 7:03 PM
  • Hi

Create a random domain (ex;contoso.com),migrate resources from abc.Office.company.com to random domain,then will configure trust between random domain and company.com,finaly migrate resources from random domain to company.com

1-abc.office.company.com -> Random domain (contoso.com)

2- random domain -> company.com

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Thursday, December 24, 2015 5:42 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2015 7:14 PM
  • Hi andersonhaulage,

Aggree with Burak, if you couldn't establish trust directly between the two domains. Setting up another domain might be another good choice. And you could use migration tool ADMT to do migration.

Here is the thread discussed before, it might be helpful.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/23de1be8-7aa8-4623-84fd-da233c57d93b/merge-2-domain-with-same-name?forum=winserverDS

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 5:53 AM