none
Help!! MS Project Prof setting "Start no earlier than" constraints when I update schedule RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    I have a schedule that is set up in line with construction need dates.  I've entered all the summary tasks and their sub tasks as normal, entered work hours and applied the relevant resource to obtain duration.  I've linked by resource and also by task dependencies.  I've updated the scheduled from today's date but it seems to set a "start no earlier than " constraint against every task in my 800 line schedule.  It might be worth mentioning that the start constraint seems to be defaulting to the last status date I had set (30th Jan) in some cases but in others it's the 26th Jan.

    This is all prior to levelling.  When I level, it seems to work fine and is doing what I expect it to do (I've changed parameters to Priority, Standard).

    Can someone please explain what these start no earlier constraints are?  It's only happening as soon as I reschedule.

    Thanks

    Jo


    J Day

    Monday, February 2, 2015 12:32 PM

All replies

  • Your description of what you did is a bit rough, but here goes.

    If a task is scheduled to start in the past relative to the status date, but it has not actually started, then because it is not possible to plan to start something in the past, when you update the plan MSP moves those tasks to start asap in the future relative to the status date, and it does this by setting a SNET date constraint.

    What did you expect?

    If the task which was scheduled to start in the past did actually start in the past, then you need to input the actual start date and actual duration. If the task actually started when it was scheduled to start, and if the task has been continuously in progress since then and up to the tstaus date, then you can just click mark on track and it will input the actual start date and actual duration for you.

    • Proposed as answer by Trevor Rabey Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:04 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 2:18 PM
  • I know this is an old case but just in case somebody else is having this issue: I had the same problem and I figured out what it was. Under File --> Options --> Schedule, the setting "Auto scheduled tasks scheduled on" was on "Current Date". When I changed this to "Project Start Date" the problem was gone :)


    Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:35 AM