none
Restrict Distribution group to send external email without creating Transport rule in Exchange 2013

Question

• Hi,

In our organisation has limited access so i can not create transport rule. My question is,  can i create Distribution Group and add users in the group and those users are only send email to internal organisation. They are not allow to send external email.

Thanks in Advance

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:19 AM

Answers

• There is nothing about any distribution group that supports that.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:29 PM
  • Hi,

As Ed said,there is no such settings on the distribution group.

We only use the option "Delivery management" to manage who can send email to this group.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124513%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If you have to achieve this goal,I suggest you contact with your administrator to create a transport rule using the following command:

New-TransportRule -Name 'rule' -Comments '' -Priority '0' -Enabled $true -FromMemberOf 'testdg@domain.com' -SentToScope 'NotInOrganization' -RejectMessageReasonText 'rejection message' -RejectMessageEnhancedStatusCode '5.7.10'

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

David Wang_
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_Moderator Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by IT-Jigs Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:02 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:46 AM

All replies

• There is nothing about any distribution group that supports that.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:29 PM
  • Hi,

As Ed said,there is no such settings on the distribution group.

We only use the option "Delivery management" to manage who can send email to this group.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124513%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If you have to achieve this goal,I suggest you contact with your administrator to create a transport rule using the following command:

New-TransportRule -Name 'rule' -Comments '' -Priority '0' -Enabled $true -FromMemberOf 'testdg@domain.com' -SentToScope 'NotInOrganization' -RejectMessageReasonText 'rejection message' -RejectMessageEnhancedStatusCode '5.7.10'

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

David Wang_
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_Moderator Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:48 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:46 AM
  • Dear All,

Thanks for your prompt responses.

I requested to Admin to create transport rule for contractor to restrict send email external users.

• Unmarked as answer by IT-Jigs Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:02 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:02 AM