CSR being rejected at Network Solutions with "invalid organization name"

• I'm trying to go through the initial setup wizards and configuring the RWW.

When I get to the certificate part, I am required to purchase a certificate.

I've purchased the certificate from Network Solutions and the wizard has generated as CSR for me.

When I validate the certificate with the CSR from the SBS2011 Essentials machine, it get a error from Network Solutions that says "invalid organization name"

Apparently, this must match exactly with the Registrant of the Domain as its listed at Network Solutions.

How do I find out what the Organization Name is that is being sent to Network Solutions with the CSR that is being generated in the SBS2011 Essentials machine?

Can I change what is there and make it match the registrant at Network Solutions and then regenerate the CSR?

Help Please,

Thursday, December 08, 2011 7:47 PM

All replies

• the default would be

You may find you have to setup a DNS record or something like that for before they will issue the certificate.

Maybe this will be useful,

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2011) | |
    Monday, December 12, 2011 12:43 PM
  • I have an A record in the DNS that points to the and have had that since the beginning. Is there a way to make sure the Organization Name that is in the CSR is correct? Can I see what is being put into the CSR and re-generate the CSR from within the wizard?
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:03 AM
  • I have decoded the CSR that SBS2011 Essentials is generating and everything is blank except the

so yes, network solutions is right, invalid organization name.  there is no organization name being transmitted in the CSR.

How do I get SBS2011 to transmit more than just the CN so that Network Solutions will validate?

Where would I put the Organization Name?  In IIS somewhere?  Then the wizard will generate the CSR with the correct info?
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:54 PM
  • I think you followed up with a question on my blog.

The suggestion i gave was to use IIS to build the CSR, which you can set Organisation name etc in.

Then when you have the Cert generated by Network Solutions you can use a 'manual' SSL installation with the wizard.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2011) | |
    Monday, December 19, 2011 3:05 PM