Applying GPO's randomly gets stuck for 30minutes plus RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a question to ask.

I have roughly 1500 users in the company and we've noticed the service desk is getting maybe 20 calls a day for group policy stuck applying on login.  Rebooting the machine doesn't appear to help as it will just get stuck on the policy again.

Now the GPO's here are messy and I'm cleaning them up but not over the top bad.  Also once a user finally gets through the stalled load if they reboot they are fine at least for a number of reboots afterwards. I've seen it stick on a couple different policies but because it affects a user but then is fine for at least a time thereafter I don't think the issue is the GPO itself.  Maybe its connection to the DC at the time tho its a randomly affected user and everyone else around them seems unaffected at the time.

Has anyone seen similar behavior, any ideas on where I should be targeting the trouble shooting for this?

Monday, May 16, 2016 5:28 AM

Answers

• Hi baab123456,

When did the issue start to occur? Did the issue only occur with specific machine? Are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer?

First of all, please ensure all the machines are up to date.

We could refer to the following steps to collect more information to troubleshoot this issue.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Add registry Key Name: UserEnvDebugLevel
    Registry Key Type: REG_DWORD
    Registry Key Value: 30002
    The log is located in this file: %windir%\debug\usermode\UserEnv.log

Considering this issue occurred with many users, it may be related to the domain configurations. We also could try to ask for help from our Server forum at the same time.
    Group policy
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=winserverGP

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:24 AM