Word 2010 settings not sticking RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell me where these settings are stored:

Tables, View Gridlines
    Show/Hide status

We are not deliberately overwriting user settings but something is going on because our users keep turning on view table gridlines, and it keeps turning off.  It usually happens when they close Word, so it does not seem to be a log off/log in issue.

Regarding show/hide status, users report that they exit word with it on but when they reopen Word, it's off.

I am hoping that knowing where the status for these settings are stored will help us identify what is resetting them.

What I'd REALLY LOVE is a list of all Word settings and where each is stored but that list does not seem to exist for Word 2010.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Laura

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:54 PM

Answers

• Most Word settings are stored in the following registry entry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\Options]

The setting for Tables, View Gridlines is stored in the following registry key

"VisiDrawTableDrs"=dword:00000000

Set 1 to show the Gridlines, set 0 (zero) to hide the Gridlines.

The setting for Show/Hide status is stored in the following registry key

"ShowAllFormatting"=dword:00000000

Set 1 to show all formatting, set 0 (zero) to hide all formatting.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Lll Friday, March 22, 2013 4:34 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:40 AM

All replies

• Most Word settings are stored in the following registry entry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\Options]

The setting for Tables, View Gridlines is stored in the following registry key

"VisiDrawTableDrs"=dword:00000000

Set 1 to show the Gridlines, set 0 (zero) to hide the Gridlines.

The setting for Show/Hide status is stored in the following registry key

"ShowAllFormatting"=dword:00000000

Set 1 to show all formatting, set 0 (zero) to hide all formatting.

Max Meng

• Marked as answer by Lll Friday, March 22, 2013 4:34 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Max Meng

Friday, March 22, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Max,

Yes!  It was very helpful, thank you.  I meant to reply sooner but was traveling and then forgot so thanks for the reminder.

Our mystery continues as to what is overwriting these settings for people because we have a lot of Word ad-ins and it seems to behave differently for different people, but knowing where the settings are in the first place is very helpful.

Since MS doesn't seem to provide a list of all settings and where they're stored like they did back in Word 2002 or so, Do you know if there's a list of all the settings stored in the registry anywhere? If there isn't an existing list I'll go through the registry and try to make my own list.

I'm keep thinking there should be a comprehensive list though - what's stored in Normal, building blocks, ribbons stuff, registry, etc. but there does not seem to be.

<object height="0" id="plugin0" style=";z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="0"><param name="tabId" value="ff-tab-0" /><param name="counter" value="7" /></object>
    Friday, March 22, 2013 4:33 PM
  • I see that in your reg key string "15" is present, meaning Office 2013??  I tried this for Office 2010, as the tile indicated, and it doesn't seem to work.  This key isn't present or even added when selecting the option manually - nor does it work when the key is added manually.  Please  help further.
    Friday, November 8, 2013 7:06 PM