Windows Defender, Real Time Scanning - I've lost track of how it's automatically configured, whether part of Security Essentials, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a lower priced Windows 7 laptop at home, that even though it was lower priced, ran more slowly than I thought it should.  Uninstalling several of the crappy utilities it came with helped some, but not enough. Eventually, I discovered and solved the issue, which was that that Windows Defender real-time-scanning and Avast Antivirus were not playing nice - I had set up Avast as my anti-virus/anti-malware, but Windows Defender also stayed active with Live-Scanning, and once I turned off Defender's live scanning and let Avast take care of it all (which includes annoying nagging screens from Avast themselves, but that's another story), the performance issues went away.

However, on other computers (an older XP with Avast and Defender), the Live-scanning didn't impact performance.  And other computers use Microsoft Security Essentials plus Defender live scanning with no problems. (I know the history of Security Essentials, that the lines blurred between what was Windows Defender, what was Security Essentials, what later on (Vista) what came automatically installed with Windows, etc. etc.)

And finally, at work, the antivirus is McAfee, but Defender Live Scan is enabled at work, with no perceivable performance hits (although my work computer has a lot of power).

So anyway.. just so I better understand the situation, does anyone remember/know what the current default configuration is?  Does a new computer out of the box come with Defender with Live Scan turned on?  Is it a case by case basis where some antivirus programs disable it and others don't?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:36 PM

Answers

• I believe Windows Defender is turned on by default. Myself I'd uninstall or shut off Windows Defender and just use Microsoft Security Essentials. I use that along with Malwarebytes set up to run at a certain time and I have no problems. Microsoft Security Essentials can be used by Windows 7, Vista and XP as long as you have the security packs installed. 
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, November 5, 2012 1:28 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:13 PM

All replies

• I believe Windows Defender is turned on by default. Myself I'd uninstall or shut off Windows Defender and just use Microsoft Security Essentials. I use that along with Malwarebytes set up to run at a certain time and I have no problems. Microsoft Security Essentials can be used by Windows 7, Vista and XP as long as you have the security packs installed. 
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, November 5, 2012 1:28 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

I would like suggest you check the issue under Safe mode and to see if the problem persist. Also, you should not better run more than one Antivirus Program at a time.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 26, 2012 8:15 AM