kernel: BLKVSC_DRV: CHS (4161, 16, 63) - on Centos5.6, LIS 2.1 ... RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting the above error messages (in /var/log/messages), every 5 minutes.

This is a VMware image, that I converted into Hyper-V.  I have the LIS2.1 drivers installed, and hyper-v is reporting that it's not the right version (as per known message to ignore)

It seems to work, and fsck doesn't bring up any errors - but I keep getting these messages.

Last night, the machine just stopped and needed a power cycle to get it going again.

1) Should I worry about these messages.

2) Any suggestions to get rid of them. (just rebuilding isn't really an option, as it was a system "delivered" as a VMware client.)

I was thinking of creating new disks, copying all the contents onto the new disks and hopefully Hyper-V will be happier with them. But it's still strange that an fsck doesn't report any disk issues.

Would I be better off with Centos6 and the 3.1 drivers? (as I think Centos5.6 isn't "supported")

Thanks in advance

Friday, July 29, 2011 3:19 PM

Answers

• Normally I only saw similar messages on Debian / Ubuntu on earlier Kernels around 2.6.35 (+/- equal to LIS 2.1 functionality).
    And such messages often followed complete freeze of the VM and in worst case (but only around 2.6.33) I even got some problematic sectors. ...
    Normally LIC 2.1 work on any EL5 clones too, the support is just about if you get into trouble like now. Honestly I've even been running Scientific Linux 5.5 and 5.6 for around 6 months with LIC 2.1 and they worked flawless. But these CHS message plus the lockup are not good signs to me.

If you can afford going to EL6 - do it. The LIS 3.1 drivers are very much like what's in upstream in 2.6.39 and are stable to what I have experienced.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:50 PM
  • You can safely comment out the line of code that spams /var/log/messages.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 3:15 AM

All replies

• Normally I only saw similar messages on Debian / Ubuntu on earlier Kernels around 2.6.35 (+/- equal to LIS 2.1 functionality).
    And such messages often followed complete freeze of the VM and in worst case (but only around 2.6.33) I even got some problematic sectors. ...
    Normally LIC 2.1 work on any EL5 clones too, the support is just about if you get into trouble like now. Honestly I've even been running Scientific Linux 5.5 and 5.6 for around 6 months with LIC 2.1 and they worked flawless. But these CHS message plus the lockup are not good signs to me.

If you can afford going to EL6 - do it. The LIS 3.1 drivers are very much like what's in upstream in 2.6.39 and are stable to what I have experienced.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:50 PM
  • You can safely comment out the line of code that spams /var/log/messages.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 3:15 AM