Internet Explorer im Kiosk Mode and TabTip RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use an Windows 7 Home Professional computer in Kiosk mode, but I have a problem with the onscreen Keyboard (tabtip.exe)

In the registry I have replaced "explorer.exe" with "C:\Program\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -K", and set the computer to login automatically as an non-admin user.

Everything seems fine, except the fact that I don't get the onscreen keyboard to work as expected.

If I start the Activity manager and manually runs the tabtip.exe program the Keyboard shows up, and everything is fine, but when I close the application, the keyboard get hidden behind the iexplore screen, thus render it impossible for the user to get a hold of. If I again connect a external keyboard and run tabtip.exe, though activity manager, it works.

The "Tablet Input Service" is running, and everythionmg seems to work, except for the Onscreen keyboard not showing up on top of internet Explorer.

If I start "iexplore -K" from the the normal "explorer-shell" it gives almost the same effect. I can open the keyboard one time, but when I close it, the tab get hidden behind the iexplore -K screen.

Any ideas?

Monday, December 3, 2012 3:46 PM

Answers

• The problem is that I don't have any keyboard attatched to the touchscreen computer, thats what I want to use tabtip for...

It is running Internet Explorer in kiosk mode replacing explorer as the shell. If I have keyboard connected to the computer I can enter "Ctrl-Alt-Del" and start activity Manager and from there start tabtip.

When starting tabtip, it shows up on top of the iexplorer screen as it should. But when I close the On-Screen keyboard, the small tab at the side of the screen does not show. It seems like it falls under the "iexplore -k" screen, thus making it impossible to use without a attached keyboard.

I have now found a crewd soloution for my problem:

Instead of starting "iexplore.exe -K" as the shell I start an script that starts "iexplore -k" and a second script (functional description below) that has an infinite loop starting tabtip over and over again, therefore if the user closes tabtip it will open up again in 10 seconds.

Functional description for script to start tabtip
    -----------
    :loop
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink\tabtip.exe
    timeout 10
    goto loop
    -----------

Saturday, December 8, 2012 10:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

After opening Internet Explorer in Kiosk Mode, press WIN+R and type tabtip.exe, then click ok to open Tablet PC Input Panel.

Tablet PC Input Panel will show up on the top of the Internet Explorer.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:11 AM
  • The problem is that I don't have any keyboard attatched to the touchscreen computer, thats what I want to use tabtip for...

It is running Internet Explorer in kiosk mode replacing explorer as the shell. If I have keyboard connected to the computer I can enter "Ctrl-Alt-Del" and start activity Manager and from there start tabtip.

When starting tabtip, it shows up on top of the iexplorer screen as it should. But when I close the On-Screen keyboard, the small tab at the side of the screen does not show. It seems like it falls under the "iexplore -k" screen, thus making it impossible to use without a attached keyboard.

I have now found a crewd soloution for my problem:

Instead of starting "iexplore.exe -K" as the shell I start an script that starts "iexplore -k" and a second script (functional description below) that has an infinite loop starting tabtip over and over again, therefore if the user closes tabtip it will open up again in 10 seconds.

Functional description for script to start tabtip
    -----------
    :loop
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink\tabtip.exe
    timeout 10
    goto loop
    -----------

Saturday, December 8, 2012 10:50 AM