GPO applying WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning

I have a wsus mounted on my network and with a GPO for the servers. We want the servers to receive the updates but not to install them and not to restart the server automatically.

This is working, the servers received the updates  but the "Install Now" button is disabled . I know some setting in the GPO is removing this permission.  Can you help me?

All the servers are Windows Srv 2016.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hi, depends on your needs you can choose option 1 or 2 

1. In Group Policy Object Editor, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then click Windows Update.

2. In the details pane, click Configure Automatic Updates.

3. Click Enabled and select one of the following options:

• Notify for download and notify for install. This option notifies a logged-on administrative user prior to the download and prior to the installation of the updates.
      • Auto download and notify for install. This option automatically begins downloading updates and then notifies a logged-on administrative user prior to installing the updates.
      • Auto download and schedule the install. If Automatic Updates is configured to perform a scheduled installation, you must also set the day and time for the recurring scheduled installation.
      • Allow local admin to choose setting. With this option, the local administrators are allowed to use Automatic Updates in Control Panel to select a configuration option of their choice. For example, they can choose their own scheduled installation time. Local administrators are not allowed to disable Automatic Updates.

"Vote or mark as answer if you think useful" "Marquer comme réponse les réponses qui ont résolu votre problème"

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:23 PM
  • hi,

we use option 2 and still the button is disable. There is other place where that can be configure?

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 2:35 PM
  • we use option 2 and still the button is disable. There is other place where that can be configure?

Consider checking the configuration of the following group policies:

• Remove access to use all Windows Update features
      (Windows Components\Windows Update)
      It is recommended to adjust this policy to not-configured.
      If you enable this setting user access to Windows Update scan, download and install is removed. 

• Allow non-administrators to receive update notifications
      (Windows Components\Windows Update)
      If you enable this policy setting, Windows Automatic Update and Microsoft Update will include non-administrators when determining which logged-on user should receive update notifications.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 2:22 AM