Setting up File Severs using DFS Name Space and DFS Replication - Issues while assigning permissions. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, if it is not, please excuse me.

I am trying to set up two File Servers in two separate geographical location. I want one to be the primary and "fail over" to the other location. I think DFS can help me do that (if not please tell me please).

I have created my namespace and set up my File Server folder which contains many sub folders. The replication is ok without errors. I have set the root folder which is "File server" to read only for everyone on the DFS console.

For the sub folders permission i am setting it from the File Explorer of the server itself, but the permissions are not being applied and only the permission from the DFS console are being applied.

Is there a way to make this work or for each sub folder i have in my root folder i need to create in in the DFS console and apply permission accordingly ?

Thanks for reading.

Kind Regards,

Mathieu

Saturday, December 19, 2015 6:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for your post.

What do you want to set for the subfolder? All the subfolders has read only permission? How do you do that?

And after you set, user still has full permission for subfolder?

Let's assume the following:

• Your DFS namespace is \\example.com\shares
    • Your DFS points to a local drive E:\shares
    • In E:\shares there are two directories, FolderA and FolderB

Permissions for the E:\shares directory are as follows:

• Share: Everyone - Change
    • NTFS:  Everyone- Read only> Apply to: This Folder, subfolders and files.

Permission usually consists of share permission and NTFS permission.

The final access permissions on a shared folder are determined by taking into consideration both the share permission and the NTFS permission entries. You can set share permissions to Full Control for the Everyone group and to rely entirely on NTFS permissions to restrict access.

For more detailed information, please refer to the article below:

Share and NTFS Permissions on a File Server
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754178.aspx

When you do DFS replication between servers, only the NTFS permissions are replicated. Share permissions are stored locally on the registry. You can backup and restore the Share permission with steps here:

Saving and restoring existing Windows shares
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125996

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Friday, January 1, 2016 7:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mary Dong Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:16 AM
    Monday, December 21, 2015 5:32 AM