IE10 HKLM second home page does NOT work RRS feed

• Question

• I was asked to set a second IE home page. We are using the "Start Page" registry key under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main to set the IE home page. When I add REG_MULTI_SZ  "Secondary Start Pages" and assign a URL to it under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main, the second IE home page does not open.

If I delete both of the reg keys above and recreate them under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main "Start Page" and "Secondary Start Pages" the second IE home page opens.

Windows 7 Enterprise x86/x64, IE10 created with IEAK.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Kevin

Kevin Elwell

Monday, April 14, 2014 11:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When IE starts up, it first checks the HKCU\ SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page to determine the home page. So if we want to modify the homepage settings from registry, we should navigate to the HKCU\ SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main and add the secondary start pages there.

Here is a blog for reference:

How Can I Change the Internet Explorer Home Page?

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:25 AM
  • Thanks Michael.

I realize that I can use the HKCU registry keys for the "start Page" and "Secondary Start Pages".

We are using the HKLM registry keys instead of HKCU. I do not want to switch to using HKCU registry keys.

Am I not able to use the "Secondary Start Pages" via HKLM?

Kevin

Kevin Elwell

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:14 PM
  • The homepage settings along with some other IE configuration is followed with user profile settings, not on the local machine.

As stated above, when open IE it will first check the HKCU for the settings, apart from the first deployment of IE, so if you want to add the second homepage after IE deployment,  change it to HKCU.

For the information about HKLM and HKCU, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724946(v=vs.85).aspx

Rgds

Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:48 AM
  • Thank you for the response. Again, I realize that IE checks HKCU first. If the "Start Page" key does not exist under HKCU, IE will use the "Start Page" key under HKLM. Are you stating that adding the "Secondary Start Pages" key under HKLM is not supported by MS?

I opened a MS Premier case about this. I will post back here with the results.

Thank you.

Kevin

Kevin Elwell

Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:03 PM
  • Why don't you use Group Policy Preferences?

I hope this post has helped!

Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:05 PM