Desktop Wallpapers: Restricting users to select one of two background images only? RRS feed

• Question

• We have been tasked to see whether we can provide our user base with the option of selection either the Corporate wallpaper OR a solid blue background (could also be a jpeg).

I've spent time looking into the Group Policies that control Desktop Backgrounds and Personalization, however, I haven't encountered a way to implement the above. If we specify a wallpaper to begin with, that implicitly means users are prohibited from making changes. If we do not specify anything, it means users can change it anything they want.

Also looked into Themes, seeing whether I could lock it down to two themes by deleting all system .theme files, but having done so also removes the Aero interface - bit of a "dirty" approach to the issue.

Can anyone suggest potential ways to tackle this or perhaps it just isn't possible.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:02 PM

Answers

• If you have different OU's you can use 2 GP's to apply 2 different types of wallpapers.

I don't think we can have option of 2 wallpapers in GP.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by antb11 Monday, September 30, 2013 7:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharma Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:15 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 5:32 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, it is not possible to achieve that.

you could only specify a wallpaper and then using the GPO to restrict it from being changed. This should be by design.

Regards,

Ada Liu

• Edited by v-Ada Friday, September 27, 2013 10:08 AM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 10:05 AM

All replies

• If you have different OU's you can use 2 GP's to apply 2 different types of wallpapers.

I don't think we can have option of 2 wallpapers in GP.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:32 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, it is not possible to achieve that.

you could only specify a wallpaper and then using the GPO to restrict it from being changed. This should be by design.

Regards,

Ada Liu

• Edited by v-Ada Friday, September 27, 2013 10:08 AM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 10:05 AM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:15 PM