none
Provision Windows 10 File Explorer Restricted and mcafee encryption RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help me with this. 

I have created a windows 10 provision (Kiosk multi app) that works on Windows 1803. Every thing is working as expected. With only the two websites icon being displayed and users able to RDP onto a VDI desktop. 

The issue is we would like users to be able to encrypt USB and then write to them from the VDI session. (Not 100% certain how well this will work, but that is a different discussion.)   

The issue is that when I connect the USB key it blocks access to File explorer. Message "The operation has been cancelled due to restriction on this..." 

What I would like to know is how to create a provision package that allows the user to "open file explorer" so they can encrypt USB keys that can then be access by the VDI session. Yes I know if they can open file explorer this may reduce the security of the Kiosk mode.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Craig 

Craig

Thursday, June 7, 2018 5:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Looks like I found a solution. 

What I need to do was logon as Kiosk User. Then switch to Admin account. (do not signout of kiosk user.)

I was then able to open registry and find the kiosk users registry setting.

I then located HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Changed NoViewOnDrive to 0X4 (Show all drive but C:).

I was then able to add a USB key to the ThinClient and access the USB drive. This also worked after a reboot. My Guess is that this would need to be done after each System Prep. Also you have to be Admin to make the Change as the Kiosk user does not have access to change this setting. 

Craig

Craig

• Marked as answer by Craig Garland Friday, June 15, 2018 1:57 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2018 1:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Craig,

Here is a similar thread about how to manage USB access on Kiosk Mode. Please check the marked reply by Carl Fan.

Enable usb access for Multiapp Kiosk User

Hope it will helpful for you.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 8, 2018 8:41 AM
  • Hi Joy,

Thanks for the response, I did find it last thing Monday and tested it this morning. Unfortunately it is not the fix. 

Looking at it this is a computer based policy, and this issue does not affect the administrator account. 

I have read that these restriction can be configured through registry, yet the Kiosk account does not seem to have any registry settings. (Not sure how that works). 

Any other Idea would be great. 

Is it possible that file explore is being blocked?

Thanks

Craig 

Craig

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:19 AM
  • Hi 

I enable File explorer and confirm that its not blocked. Yet as soon as I try and access any drive USB or local system drive I get the "You access has been restricted"

This indicates that we are blocked from all drive access. 

I would think this is a group policy setting or a registry setting yet I cannot see any group policy setting enabled and kiosk mode does not have any registry setting. 

Craig 

Craig

Thursday, June 14, 2018 2:47 AM
  • Hi,

Looks like I found a solution. 

What I need to do was logon as Kiosk User. Then switch to Admin account. (do not signout of kiosk user.)

I was then able to open registry and find the kiosk users registry setting.

I then located HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Changed NoViewOnDrive to 0X4 (Show all drive but C:).

I was then able to add a USB key to the ThinClient and access the USB drive. This also worked after a reboot. My Guess is that this would need to be done after each System Prep. Also you have to be Admin to make the Change as the Kiosk user does not have access to change this setting. 

Craig

Craig

• Marked as answer by Craig Garland Friday, June 15, 2018 1:57 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2018 1:56 AM