Day 5: Operation Vista Home Premium Upgrade... RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening my friends!

Not much to report today.  In the "Good News" department, I did get my existing installation of XP Home "reactivated" after losing activation yesterday to numerous hardware changes.

Tomorrow I am scheduled for a call from a Microsoft Technical Support Representitive to see what - if anything - can be done to complete this upgrade.

On the bright side, it was a beautiful sunny 72 degree day here in North Texas, I wacked a bucket of balls at the club (good for getting the aggression out you see), and am now calming down somewhat from what has been an absolutely abysmal and infuriating experience.

Of course, the easy out for me would be to take this whole damn machine and the bloody Vista disc to a professional or the IT flunky at my office.  However, that's not the point: I built every system I've used for personal use since about 1998.  I should be able to install the LATEST AND GREATEST from Microsoft.

But as I've relayed here, I have read literally hundreds of accounts on the web of poor souls having similar experiences.

Let me ask all of you this question: After 6 years of development, BILLIONS of dollars spent in R&D, and extensive beta-testing, shouldn't I be able to plop the DVD of Vista Home Premium into my higher-end system and get a clean result?

Is that too much to ask...?

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 1:31 AM

All replies

• Apparently, yes.

Rest assured that it doesn't get much better with Vista for Business [Upgrade]; see http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1188905&SiteID=17

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Yep.  It's turning into a real ugly situation.

In a rare moment of honesty, in an off-the-cuff comment, a Microsoft Customer Service employee told me today that she had been with the company 11 years and never seen anything like this.

People are really pissed off this time!

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 3:38 AM