Change client DP setting RRS feed

• Question

• How to change client DP setting ? I found some of client point to wrong DP,  I already create boundary and boundary group and assigne boundary group to particular DP. But seem it can't change client point to correct DP. Pls advice. Thx !!
    Sunday, September 23, 2012 4:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• The client will automatically use the DP in the boundary Group. Just make sure the boundaries and boundary Groups are correct. You might have to restart the SMS Agent host service on the client or wait until it checks for a DP Again.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:00 PM
  • To put it another way, clients are not assigned to DPs; content location by clients is all about the boundaries and boundary groups.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Sunday, September 23, 2012 10:47 PM
  • I tried to restart SMS agent in client but DP still point to incorrect server. Could we force to change it in server side ?

Monday, September 24, 2012 3:23 AM
  • As mentioned, clients are *not* assigned or statically pointed at any specific DP. Thus, there is nothing to change to server side except the boundaries (which also as mentioned) enable clients to find the correct DP based upon network location. Thus, you need to examine your boundaries and boundary groups.

Monday, September 24, 2012 2:03 PM
  • bad luck, already created boundaries and boundary groups, and also restart SMS agent, but still found some of client point to incorrect MP.
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Let me explain more our configuration:

2x sit (Japan and Singapore)

The first of site server installed in singapore which subnet 10.10.1.x. Then, we install MP and DP into Japan site which subnet 192.168.10.x

We used Active directory discover method to discover above subnet boundary afterward created boundary group to point to particular DP. 

Boundary group JP - boundary 192.168.10.x - Japan's MP

Boundary goup SG - boundary  10.10.1.x - Singapore's MP

Checked in SCCM console, some of japan's subnet PC point to singapore's MP and found "1 assigned MP errors in the last 10 minutes, threshold is 5." error in locationServices.log .

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:41 PM
  • MP or DP? Those are two completely different things and are located by clients in two completely different ways.

Also, for multiple MPs in a single primary site, there is *no* location awareness. Selection of an MP by clients is essentially random. Multiple MPs in a single primary site is for availability and not geographic location.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Sorry, i make you confuse. I am not familiar on SCCM infrastructure so that MP and DP installed in the same box (Japan site). I just want to Japan's client managed by Japan's MP/DP instead of using singapore's server. In your means that i may be assigned wrong server role in Japan site. what should i do ? below is our existing setting

In singapore - installed primary site SCCM 2012 - all SCCM's server roles installed.

In Japan - installed DP and MP 

So, I should remove MP in Japan's server, only assign DP server role in Japan site for software deployment. Pls correct me if any wrong.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:39 PM
  • How many clients are at each Location and how are the cities connected (bandwidth)? You can't control which MP will be used, so it does not make sense to set up more than one MP if there are bad links between locations.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Singapore site have ~ 800 clients . JP's site have ~ 300 clients. The bandwidth between two site 5M links. I wonder when will use MP ? what is function on mulitple MP ?
    Friday, September 28, 2012 5:16 PM