So OneDrive and OneDrive for business use the same .exe? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am trying to block some applications from reaching the web through a firewall.  In this firewall, I can block by application.  Not asking how to set this up,  my question is above.  I want to block onedrive, but NOT OneDrive for business.  Do they use the same executable, or are there different ones?

I did a quick google search, and did not find any info, so I am hoping someone with more knowledge can give me the info I am looking for.   A valid weblink works just as well, I am ok with doing my own research. 

Thanks. 

Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:49 AM

Answers

• Microsoft is currently migrating from a legacy sync engine "Groove" which was labeled OneDrive for Business to a newer sync engine called OneDrive (NGSC or Next Gen Sync Client).  Further, where Microsoft used to have multiple code bases for OneDrive this fragmentation made it difficult to innovate and support.  As a result, the consumer side and business side have been converged into once NGSC client called OneDrive.exe.  For business users, the SysAdmin must provision a few registry keys prior to launch of OneDrive to instruct it to prompt for tenant user name versus Microsoft account.

If you are installing Office 365 ProPlus you can use the Office Deployment Tool ODT to exclude Groove as an application which will only leave one OneDrive sync engine.  You can then deploy then reg keys below to get desired behavior, business only sync client.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive]
    "DefaultToBusinessFRE"=dword:00000001
    "DisablePersonalSync"=dword:00000001
    "EnableEnterpriseTier"=dword:00000001
    "EnableAddAccounts"=dword:00000001

A lengthy article will help provide additional information.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Deploying-the-OneDrive-for-Business-Next-Generation-Sync-Client-in-an-enterprise-environment-3f3a511c-30c6-404a-98bf-76f95c519668?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:16 AM

All replies

• Microsoft is currently migrating from a legacy sync engine "Groove" which was labeled OneDrive for Business to a newer sync engine called OneDrive (NGSC or Next Gen Sync Client).  Further, where Microsoft used to have multiple code bases for OneDrive this fragmentation made it difficult to innovate and support.  As a result, the consumer side and business side have been converged into once NGSC client called OneDrive.exe.  For business users, the SysAdmin must provision a few registry keys prior to launch of OneDrive to instruct it to prompt for tenant user name versus Microsoft account.

If you are installing Office 365 ProPlus you can use the Office Deployment Tool ODT to exclude Groove as an application which will only leave one OneDrive sync engine.  You can then deploy then reg keys below to get desired behavior, business only sync client.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive]
    "DefaultToBusinessFRE"=dword:00000001
    "DisablePersonalSync"=dword:00000001
    "EnableEnterpriseTier"=dword:00000001
    "EnableAddAccounts"=dword:00000001

A lengthy article will help provide additional information.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Deploying-the-OneDrive-for-Business-Next-Generation-Sync-Client-in-an-enterprise-environment-3f3a511c-30c6-404a-98bf-76f95c519668?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:16 AM
  • Hi Dave,

So the short answer I am looking for is yes, they are the same executable.  This is already deployed, I am not going to change anything but in the firewall.  Maybe all your info will help the next person. 

Thanks. 

Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:32 PM