Profiling SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to get more visibility into what is happening within SharePoint. Specifically, I'd like to know how much of the time spent handling a request is spent making calls to SQL server and how much of it is spent accessing resources on the Web Front. Obviously, this is key information in troubleshooting performance issues. Is there a resonable way to do this on production Web Front Ends? I am the "SharePoint Farm Admin" but I am not the SQL Server Admin. I cannot log into the SQL Server or directly view performance counters on that server. Is there a log or performance counter on the Web Front End that would allow me to determine how long the database portion of the request is taking?

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:59 PM

Answers

•  

Hi mbuckingham,

Firstly, almost 90% of everything is stored in the database, you should check the data layer first. But you are not the SQL Server Admin, so you have to skip this step.

Secondly, you can profile your Web Front End server. There are many profilers you can use. Please check this article and this thread, RedGate even has a document about profiling an Sharepoint Site Collection: Document. You can also use some enterprise monitoring tool to monitor the performance of hardware(e.g. hard disk, memory ,network)

Thirdly, you should also monitor the performance of Authorization Providers such as AD. You can write a simple application auths against your AD and check the latency on that.

Thanks,

Lambda Zhao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by mbuckingham Friday, March 30, 2012 8:10 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 6:59 AM

All replies

•  

Hi mbuckingham,

Firstly, almost 90% of everything is stored in the database, you should check the data layer first. But you are not the SQL Server Admin, so you have to skip this step.

Secondly, you can profile your Web Front End server. There are many profilers you can use. Please check this article and this thread, RedGate even has a document about profiling an Sharepoint Site Collection: Document. You can also use some enterprise monitoring tool to monitor the performance of hardware(e.g. hard disk, memory ,network)

Thirdly, you should also monitor the performance of Authorization Providers such as AD. You can write a simple application auths against your AD and check the latency on that.

Thanks,

Lambda Zhao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by mbuckingham Friday, March 30, 2012 8:10 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 6:59 AM
  • Thanks Lambda. Those are good tips. You're right that SQL Server is central. We do have a SQL Server MVP checking that part of it. The caching layers appears to be the key piece on the web front end. We've seen some improvement from adding RAM. I always prefer to know what is happening before I try to solve a problem. Profiling tools are key to that. 
    Friday, March 30, 2012 8:10 PM