Convert Standard Distribution List to Dynamic Distribution Group RRS feed

• Question

• I want to convert a standard distribution list to a dynamic distribution list (maintaining the GUID). Is this possible?
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:26 PM

Answers

• ok, this is what I suspected.  auto-complete doesn't care about the guid.  Make a new group with the same members, and give it an x500 alias with the old value. http://blog.scottlowe.org/2007/02/15/preserving-nickname-cache-in-exchange-migrations/

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Monday, April 8, 2013 3:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Saturday, May 4, 2013 5:52 AM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:10 PM
  • I agree with Mike that auto-complete doesn't not use GUID.

As for the membership, as mentioned above, a dynamic distribution group is simply a query, members in this group might be changed after the convertion. So creating a new group with the same members is a good idea.

Fiona Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 8, 2013 3:32 AM

All replies

• No this is not possible.  A dynamic distribution group is simply a query.  A regular distribution group is an active directory group.  If you want the members of normal group "A" to be the members of a dynamic group "B", you'd have to build a query for group B that matches the same users.

What does the GUID matter anyway?  Do you mean x500 address?  Are you trying to preserve user's auto-complete entries?

Mike Crowley | MVP

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:02 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:58 PM
  • Preserver Auto-complete and preserve membership in another gruop.
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 7:41 PM
  • ok, this is what I suspected.  auto-complete doesn't care about the guid.  Make a new group with the same members, and give it an x500 alias with the old value. http://blog.scottlowe.org/2007/02/15/preserving-nickname-cache-in-exchange-migrations/

Mike Crowley | MVP

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Monday, April 8, 2013 3:28 AM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:10 PM
  • I agree with Mike that auto-complete doesn't not use GUID.

As for the membership, as mentioned above, a dynamic distribution group is simply a query, members in this group might be changed after the convertion. So creating a new group with the same members is a good idea.

Fiona Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 8, 2013 3:32 AM