none
No Logon Servers available

Question

• Hello,

I am using a Windows 2012 R2 Standard DC's with Windows 10 client machines in a local domain.

Just recently moved to a new office and this is the first time (since the move) I am trying to join a new client machine to my local domain and also add a new domain user profile locally to a client machine and getting these errors:

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

or...

this PC is having problems communicating with this domain.

• same errors occur from different client machines
    • clients & servers are on the same local network
    • Ping & access to network shares are successful
    • NETLOGON, DFS Replication & SYSVOL are all up and running
    • Restarted DC's
    • DC is recognized by the client as a DNS server

Any helpful resolutions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 7:01 PM

Answers

• The issue turned out to be a DNS setting on my firewall which is also my DHCP server so now is resolved.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Marked as answer by tfiswto Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:02 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:02 PM

All replies

• Make sure the DC and clients have address of DC for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS. Might also post an unedited ipconfig /all of both DC and problem client.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Miguel Fra Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:02 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:16 PM
  • Were the client's disconnected from the domain for long periods of time? Is the trust relationship broken?

Is the DNS Server service running on the DC? Can you run NSLOOKUP and the DNS server is the DC?

Check for a rogue DHCP router that may be accidentally handing out incorrect subnet info to the client PC's. After a move or change in networks, DHCP enabled ISP routers can interfere and cause intermittent connection problems. Sometimes they use the same IP subnet but the DNS and gateway differ and that can cause domain authentication issues.

See if you can replicate the problem after statically assigning an IP address, gateway and DNS settings on the client NIC. This will tell you if the problem is in the network or in the server.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

• Edited by Miguel Fra Wednesday, January 4, 2017 10:13 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 10:06 PM
  • This means that your computers are unable to locate / reach a DC. Starting by checking that your DCs are healthy using dcdiag and refer to my recommendations here for the IP settings to make sure that they are properly registered in DNS: http://www.ahmedmalek.com/web/fr/articles.asp?artid=23

Also, make sure that there is no firewall between your client computers and DCs which is filtering / blocking the needed ports for communication.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 10:21 PM
  • The issue turned out to be a DNS setting on my firewall which is also my DHCP server so now is resolved.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Marked as answer by tfiswto Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:02 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:02 PM