Do not power off or unplug your machine ... RRS feed

• Question

• My system running W7 RC 64-bit is hanging when trying to shutdown and install an update.  The message is "Please do not power off or unplug your machine.  Installing update 2 of 4."  It has been showing this for two hours now.  The little circle is still rotating.  The disk light flashes regularly.

This update is happening on July 15, 2009.  My system is a Dell XPS 430.

Naturally, I am afraid to shut it down to continue.  Any advice?  I am not sure how to get any more information without shutting down.
    • Edited by rogermat Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:49 PM
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:51 PM Focus (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:45 PM

All replies

• I think switching off is the only alternative.

I’ve had this update problem in the past and nothing untoward happened.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:35 PM
  • one thing i noticed about windows 7 is that if you have to shut down it allways reboots to where you left it. im loving 7 microsoft :)
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:29 PM
  • I was having the same problem, and finally I unpluged my computer.  Later I turned it back on and so far so good.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:09 PM
  • You are right.  I was wondering what was going on (smile).
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Problem is if you switch off while it is doing this, you cannot then install anything else!!! You get problems whenever you try to install something because it thinks there is an incomplete installation

How do you get around this???

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:10 PM