old machine w xp RRS feed

• Question

• From what I understand this folder, C:\Program Files\C:\Program Files, should not exist on my Pavillion. Yet it's there. It looks to me like C was moved into a folder inside itself with the same title. Is that possible and would this be the reason it takes 30 seconds to a couple minutes to find (C:) or other drives, or opening My Computer or My Documents?
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:30 AM

Answers

• ... From what I understand this folder, C:\Program Files\C:\Program Files, should not exist on my Pavillion. Yet it's there ...

Hi,

As suggested by Arnav, it will be helpful if you can provide a screenshot.

Nevertheless, you can try to fix file system using the chkdsk command.

1. Click on Windows Start button and click the Run... option.
    2. Type cmd and click OK button. A command prompt will appear.
    3. In the command prompt, enter chkdsk c: /f and hit <Enter> key.
    4. When prompted to schedule chkdsk on reboot, enter Y and hit <Enter> key.
    5. Close the command prompt and reboot the computer.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Tas Chew

• Marked as answer by Easy St Monday, October 6, 2014 7:31 PM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:05 AM
  • My professional oppinion, I think that this is some kind of Malware/Virus and either use Malwarebytes to clean your machine or Format and reinstall Windows.

I was thinking maybe a folder was inside of a folder.  However, special characters such as a : (colon) cannot be used in a file name. 

Ultimately, I would attempt to salvage any data that I could and I was Format and reinstall Windows.

Good luck!!!

• Marked as answer by Easy St Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:59 PM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 3:09 PM
  • I'm gonna agree and call it there. I was thinking the same with the colon, I don't like anything that comes out right where its colon is ;)
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:04 PM

All replies

• How's that possible? A drive inside a drive? Can you post screenshot.

Also, can you scan your system for malwares and viruses?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, December 14, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Yeah I don't understand it either. I think it may have happened a few years ago ('09) when I upgraded this 2001 Pavillion from ME to XP Pro. It kept the profile fine but every time I try to open something it takes a long time for it to find the file or folder. About two years ago a virus infected some things (while Norton was running) and they supposedly fixed that, and I had to chew out about 15 people to get them to do it and they still charged me like 75 bucks. Jerks! I won't be using them ever again. Anyhow I use free Avast and, am just very careful what I do, it did a scan after I installed it and it actually gave me a warning saying something about C:\Program Files\C:\Program Files being an error and should be corrected. I immediately thought "Ah Ha!". But for some reason some of my first scan info by Avast is no longer available and that's the best I remember about it. Not that I could possibly figure out what the hell to do about it any way. I'm not going to spend much time or effort trying to fix this because MS (I think that secretly stands for mother ship and not Microsoft) is screwing XP users in May anyway but if you have any ideas I would be curious to see what happens. Thanks, Arnav.
    Monday, December 16, 2013 10:45 AM
  • I suggest to format the system and install a new OS, preferably Windows 7. :)

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, December 16, 2013 2:37 PM
  • ... From what I understand this folder, C:\Program Files\C:\Program Files, should not exist on my Pavillion. Yet it's there ...

Hi,

As suggested by Arnav, it will be helpful if you can provide a screenshot.

Nevertheless, you can try to fix file system using the chkdsk command.

1. Click on Windows Start button and click the Run... option.
    2. Type cmd and click OK button. A command prompt will appear.
    3. In the command prompt, enter chkdsk c: /f and hit <Enter> key.
    4. When prompted to schedule chkdsk on reboot, enter Y and hit <Enter> key.
    5. Close the command prompt and reboot the computer.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Tas Chew

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:05 AM
  • ... I suggest to format the system and install a new OS, preferably Windows 7 ...

Hi,

I doubt a 2001 built Pavallion machine is capable of supporting Windows 7.

Cheers,

Tas Chew

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:10 AM
  • Yes I tried that, it didn't work, but thank you.
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:56 PM
  • That is correct. Not worth messing with really is it. :(
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Can you format the machine and install XP again?

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:52 PM
  • My professional oppinion, I think that this is some kind of Malware/Virus and either use Malwarebytes to clean your machine or Format and reinstall Windows.

I was thinking maybe a folder was inside of a folder.  However, special characters such as a : (colon) cannot be used in a file name. 

Ultimately, I would attempt to salvage any data that I could and I was Format and reinstall Windows.

Good luck!!!

• Marked as answer by Easy St Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:59 PM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 3:09 PM
  • I'm gonna agree and call it there. I was thinking the same with the colon, I don't like anything that comes out right where its colon is ;)
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:04 PM