none
SBS2011 Std to Server 2016 Essentials w/ on premise exchange RRS feed

• Question

• I see lots of guides for moving SBS2011 to server 2016 Std, or moving to Essentials and O365. I have only been able to find one PAID guide for SBS2011 STD to Server 2016 Essentials.

I can find a guide on moving Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016, but it includes nothing about SBS or Server Essentials.

I have also seen a guide to integrate Exchange with Server Essentials, but once again, no guidance on migrating from SBS. In the integration guides, it makes mention that you do not want to put in the Exchange server before the Essentials server.

Due to reasons with my customer and LOB programs, the exchange will be staying on site.

Do I migrate the SBS to Essentials then put in the Exchange server? This will create a very tight timeline, as the LOB app will need to be migrated as well. I was hoping to get exchange installed, the mailboxes moved before installing the Essentials Server.

It seems this line of migration is treated like the plague, and there is little to no information out there.
    Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:06 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You can migrate Exchange Server 2010 from the SBS 2011 to a new member server that is joined to the domain and has Exchange Server 2016 installed and keep that situation as long as you need time to migrate your LOB.

Remember that the new Exchange Server 2016 does need to installed on a member server that should NOT be your domain controller. In total you will need two servers, one for the new DC that can be Windows Server 2016 Essentials and another one that hosts the new Exchange Server 2016. But even better, use Hyper-V to virtualize both loads.

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, August 23, 2019 6:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can migrate Exchange Server 2010 from the SBS 2011 to a new member server that is joined to the domain and has Exchange Server 2016 installed and keep that situation as long as you need time to migrate your LOB.

Remember that the new Exchange Server 2016 does need to installed on a member server that should NOT be your domain controller. In total you will need two servers, one for the new DC that can be Windows Server 2016 Essentials and another one that hosts the new Exchange Server 2016. But even better, use Hyper-V to virtualize both loads.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, August 23, 2019 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

Once WSE has been deployed, it might be PDC on domain. So, it is recommended to migrate your Exchange from SBS to another member server.

You can add a member server to existing domain, and complete the Exchange server migration before old SBS demoting. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 23, 2019 8:43 AM
  • Thanks guys, I do know that Exchange must reside on a member server that is not the Essentials server. My biggest worry has been that in the scenarios/guides/information I have been finding regarding Essentials and an on premise Exchange server, the say you should wait until the Essentials server is in before adding the exchange.

The concern being that maybe the console in Essentials might become broken. I would hate to get into a situation where my installation would have to be yanked out, or worse, I would have to create a side by side domain migration instead of the ease of just migrating servers.

Friday, August 23, 2019 3:24 PM
  • I have never seen the problem you describe. IMHO you can migrate Exchange and after that has been done introduce the new WSE.

Friday, August 23, 2019 6:42 PM
  • Hi,

Migrate Exchange first, remove and uninstall Exchange from your SBS before migrating AD from SBS to new WSE. 

Uninstall Exchange Server:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-essentials-sbs/dd728003(v=ws.10)

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 26, 2019 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, August 29, 2019 6:50 AM