General Questions regarding virus scan RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys as I am only interested in the virus scan portion of forefront usage, i was wondering if it is possible to just install that component?

These is an excerpt from a website where i got the information from:
    "With the addition of Antigen to the arsenal the security professional can centrally manage the antivirus console and keep the AV engine and pattern files updated with multiple layers of AV scanning. The organization can have up to nine different scan engines to scan files and data, with providers such as Computer Associates, Sophos and Norman. This strategy provides for failover so that if one scan engine fails to detect a virus, the next scan engine will most likely detect the virus. This type of scan will certainly reduce the risk of exposure. The Antigen user interface is easy to use, and gives great visibility of security events related to the environment. One of the features that I most enjoy is Antigen for SharePoint that scans uploaded files."

I am very interested in the multiple layers of AV scanning, and i was wondering what is the pre-requisite of using forefront (i.e. software to be installed) because i only need to integrate the AV component with the current product I'm working with right now

Cheers
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi!

This post ended up in the wrong forum (should have been in Forefront server security) But I can answer anyway.

Forefront Server Security for Exchange, Sharepoint and OCS (former Antigen) is an multi-engine AV-scanner, file filter for Exchange, sharepoint and OCS specifically. It's a good idea to complement with a file AV on these specific servers also (like Forefront Clients Security).
    Forefront server security is installed locally on all Excahnge 2007 or Sharepoint (depending on which products you use).  If you just want to use the AV part...sure that works if you turn off the rest. but everything comes bundledd in the same product.

Read up on the Forefront product family here.

www.microsoft.com/forefront

Hope this helps
    /Johan
    MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    Friday, January 9, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Hi so does it mean that i have to have at least 100 GB of free space and 4GB of ram as recommended by http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb404245.aspx because I'm having difficulties getting the recommended resources
    Monday, January 12, 2009 2:37 AM
  • Hi,

Not neccessarily. It depends on how many clients you will be protecting. I suggest you read the product documentation for detailed specs and here is a great blog post on db sizing: http://blogs.technet.com/fcsnerds/archive/2008/09/25/fcs-with-mom-2005-database-guidance.aspx

Good luck!
    MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:36 PM
  • Hi is it true that only Forefront Security for Exchange Server enables you to choose virus scanning engines from multiple vendors? Currently i have installed Microsoft forefront client security. Does it come together with the option of integrating with multiple av scanner? Basically in my scenario, i just need forefront to be a "box" where i can house multiple av scanners and do the scanning. Is there anyway where i can go about doing it? Hope you can advice me on that Johan. Thank you

Cheers,
    kenny
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:19 AM
  • Hi Kenny

Correct.  Only the Forefront or Antigen products that protect server applications such as Exchange or Sharepoint allow you to select multiple engines from multiple vendors.  Forefront client security is a bundled product with only 1 virus scanning engine.

You will not be able to install just the engines for scanning that can be found in forefront server security or antigen as stand alone engines.

Regards

Robert Lourenco

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:07 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply, i was wondering if anyone have a sample report (output) for forefront security for exchange server. It would be good if i can take a look at it. Another point to raise is that is there anyway possible to log the results from the Antivirus scanners into say, a log file?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:33 AM