cannot connect to windows 7 console RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am trying to connect to a windows 7 machine (HTPC) from an XP machine using RDP
    I wish to connecct in console mode so that i do not have to start a new login session and switch off the running session. I wish to keep the HTPC running as it it functions as my TV etc.....

I have done some research about this and found that either  /console or /admin should be used to accompliish this.
    Unfortunately I cannot get this to work. I get an error saying cannot find computer and to enter  IP or computer name correctly.
    If i remove the /comsole or /admin it does work....but asks me for login details....which is not what i want as i wish to not end existing session.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    David
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:39 PM

Answers

• Sorry - I just noticed you are using an XP system to connect to the Win7 computer.  Try my steps above using /console instead of /admin - it should log you in to the currently signed in session on the system.  One problem you may run in to, however, is the video may not stream well remotly.
    -Matt
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:31 PM

All replies

• How are you using the /admin switch?  You cannot enter it into the address location with the computer name or IP address.  To use it, hit the windows key + R to open the run box.  In that box, type:
    mstsc.exe /admin

In the RDP window that opens, enter the computer name or IP address and click connect.  Enter your password and it should take you to the logged in session.
    -Matt
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:26 PM
  • i tried as you mention
    i log into the same username session (becuase i am using same username  / password)
    but the session that is active on the other screen gets logged out and goes to login screen

i would like to be able to login to the session that is active

i am trying to do this so i can stull use the HTPC as a tv while logging into it remotely and without having the sesion with the TV runniing log out

David
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Sorry - I just noticed you are using an XP system to connect to the Win7 computer.  Try my steps above using /console instead of /admin - it should log you in to the currently signed in session on the system.  One problem you may run in to, however, is the video may not stream well remotly.
    -Matt
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:31 PM
  • it works
    in the sense that i log into the active session
    but the tv screen logs out to the login page while on my xp machine i can see what is on the tv desktop
    i would like to have both screens active at once
    wth the remote session being a clone of hte tv screen
    so i can control from the remote session
    is that at all possible

thanks for your help
    David
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:42 PM
  • It is not possible with RDP.  Live Mesh Beta provides this feature (https://www.mesh.com/welcome/default.aspx) but the video will likely be choppy.  I also do not know if this will forward sound.
    -Matt
    Friday, October 9, 2009 9:01 PM