none
Routing between two subnets in Windows Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I am a teacher in a small school and I am trying to set up a server in our computer lab.

The router (192.168.1.1) is a ZTE f660 (provided by our ISP). The router provides connection for a few Wifi AP's around the school and has an ethernet cable running into the computer lab (192.168.1.100).

I have set up a Windows Server 2012 Domain controller with AD, DNS, DHCP and RRAS with NAT. It has two NIC's (192.168.1.100 and 10.1.10.2)

The computers and server in the lab can connect to eachother and share files.

The server can access the internet, but the lab computers have no internet access.

a network diagram can be seen here:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/VIlfSLy4Fjk-dlhLi6CEjZ45SVnvLb6qJU3HHCMwYxA-Z6frLJ2sxnsyvczump8In0m7=w1824-h1026-rw-no

I think the problem is that the computer lab has its own domain and subnet (10.1.10.x) and the traffic isn't being routed through the server.

I am kinda new to Server 2012 and have been struggling with this for a couple of days now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Friday, February 26, 2016 10:48 AM

Answers

• Hi

I couldn't see the set up but it sounds simple.

You say you have set up RRAS.

First make sure the computer LAB PCs are on the physical network that is running the 10.x network then make sure the other NIC goes to the router.

To help you , I would need screenshots of the RRAS configuration and a domain info map.

there are several ways to fix this dependent upon how you have set up RRAS and the domain structure.

Yours

Ed

Please mark as the answer if you found this helpful

Friday, February 26, 2016 12:55 PM
  • OMG

I found the problem.  Windows defaults the subnet mask for 10.1.10.x to 255.0.0.0

Whereas the WAN NIC was on subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Changed the scope settings in DHCP and it is now working.

• Marked as answer by TonyG83 Saturday, February 27, 2016 5:51 AM
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 5:41 AM

All replies

• Hi

I couldn't see the set up but it sounds simple.

You say you have set up RRAS.

First make sure the computer LAB PCs are on the physical network that is running the 10.x network then make sure the other NIC goes to the router.

To help you , I would need screenshots of the RRAS configuration and a domain info map.

there are several ways to fix this dependent upon how you have set up RRAS and the domain structure.

Yours

Ed

Please mark as the answer if you found this helpful

Friday, February 26, 2016 12:55 PM
  • Thank you for getting back to me here is a network diagram:

The Lab computers are all getting their IP addresses allocated from the server DC.  They all show that they are connected to the domain in Network and sharing center and I am able to browse the shared folders on all the machines in the lab.  All lab machines can ping eachother and the server using both their 10.1.10.x IP addresses and the names given to them by the servers DNS.  The NIC which connects the server to the lab has been named LAN.

The server has direct ethernet access to the router and has an active internet connection.

Here are some screenshots of the RRAS config:

Please let me know any other details you want me to provide.

Thanks

Saturday, February 27, 2016 1:50 AM
  • OMG

I found the problem.  Windows defaults the subnet mask for 10.1.10.x to 255.0.0.0

Whereas the WAN NIC was on subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Changed the scope settings in DHCP and it is now working.

• Marked as answer by TonyG83 Saturday, February 27, 2016 5:51 AM
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 5:41 AM
  • That would be part one of my answer, make sure they are on the same network. Glad you got it resolved
    Monday, February 29, 2016 11:19 AM