In "hosted cache mode" of "BranchCache", hosted cache server and branchcache client --- How do they behave? RRS feed

• Question

• In verification for "BranchCache" in "hosted cache mode", I've gotten questions of the following.

1)In "hosted cache mode", the cache data(local cache) of the clients, does it increase or decrease?

In "hosted cache mode", hosted cache server has the cache data, I understood so.
      But I've watched in "hosted cache mode",the cache data of clients increase in response to downloading.
      The cache data is the following.
       PeerDistStorage.pds
       PeerDistHashStorage.pds
       PeerDistStorage.pdsidx

Is the behavior like the above valid in "hosted cache mode"?

I ask after I've confirmed the following.
      -The value of "active cache size" of clients are not zero and it is huge.
       ・・・from the result of "netsh branchcache show localcache".
      -Client runs in "hosed cache mode".
       ・・・from the result of "netsh branchcache show status".

In addition, I've made the cache data of clients initialized (i.e. It'has been made zero size.)
      by the command of the follwing.
       netsh branchCache flush
       netsh branchCache reset

2)In "hosted cache mode", the cache data (hosted cache) of the hosted cache server, does it increase and decrease?

In "hosted cache mode", it seems that hosted cache server has the cache data of the following.
       PeerDistStorage.pds
       PeerDistHashStorage.pds
       PeerDistStorage.pdsidx
      They are "hosted cache data" itself, I understood so.
      But I was unable to recongnize that these cache data increase and decrease.

Is the behavior like the above valid in "hosted cache mode"?

3)In "hosted cache mode" of "BranchCache", I'd like to get idea about the following.
      ●Between the hosted cash server and clients,what data do they exchange?
        ・・・I don't need the explanation of outline or the conceptual explanation.
          I need information about the protocol and the format of exchanging data.
      ●Where "cash data" is stored in "hosted cache server" and "Branchcache" client?

Any help would be much, much appreciated.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is a comment by myself.

After the former comment, I examined closely about the result that I described in it.
    It turned out that "Hosted cash server" was not attested from the "Branchcash" client.
    The following event log is recorded.
    >Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing 6404 Hosted cache could not be authenticated using the provisioned SSL certificate
    >Domain name of the hosted cache xxxx
    >Error code : 12175

I don't have the idea about the immediate cause.

But It turned out the following.
    Changing the configuration of the certificate for "Hosted cache server",
    it causes the valid authentication of "hosted cache server" by "Barnchcache" client
    and the valid transfer of "cache data" from "Branchcache" client to "Hosted cache server".
    And it causes the increasing of the local cache of "Hosted cache server" with its storing.
    the local cache (files) are the following.
       PeerDistStorage.pds
       PeerDistHashStorage.pds
       PeerDistStorage.pdsidx

Changing the configuration of the certificate for "Hosted cache server" is the following 2 selections.
    ・Specifying "DNS name"(cf.FQDN) in "Subject name format"
    ・Using the certificate template of "computer" as it is.
      → In the certificate template of "computer",it is Specified "DNS name" in "Subject name format")

*1:
     In the following documents opening to the public
     >BranchCache Deployment Guide
       →Deploy a hosted cache mode design
         →Install the certification authority and enroll certificates to hosted cache servers
           →Configure the Web Server certificate template
     >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee649187(WS.10).aspx
     it is described as the following.
     >10.Click the Subject Name tab.
     > Ensure that Build from this Active Directory information is selected.
     > In Subject name format, select Fully distinguished name.
     Changing "Subject name format" to "DNS name" contradicts the above-mentioned description.

*2:
     (On the other hand, there is the following description against *1.)
     In the following documents opening to the public
     >BranchCache Early Adopter's Guide
       →Verification and Monitoring
     >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637782(WS.10).aspx
     it is described as the following about "Subject name format".
     >・The subject field of the certificate must match the fully qualified domain name of the computer.

I wonder which is correct for "Subject name format"?
      ・Fully distinguished name
           or
      ・DNS name (FQDN-fully qualified domain name)

Any help (for the former post and this post) would be much, much appreciated.

Friday, April 2, 2010 6:56 AM
  • Click the Subject Name tab. Ensure that Build from this Active Directory information is selected. In Subject name format, select DNS name.

The revised guide is now live in the MS DLC at http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/3/C/23C33AB8-268C-4251-A5BF-1D1DDE6C01F3/BranchCache_Deploy.doc

Friday, June 25, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Hi!

In order to have BranchCache with the Hosted Cache server properly configured, include the DNS name (FQDN - fully qualified domain name).

This is the correct setup.

There's a revised guide regarding BranchCache that is now live in the following location:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/3/C/23C33AB8-268C-4251-A5BF-1D1DDE6C01F3/BranchCache_Deploy.doc

The technet site should be updated next week.

Sérgio

Friday, June 25, 2010 8:18 AM