Cannot get valid results when searching for content within a flat file, I need answers asap RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have any workarounds for searching within folders using win7 32-bit.  After testing this & trying to add file extensions to get win7 to see full flat files, I still can't get the search to review the entire file.  My Company wants answers & I am about to tell them not to upgrade to Win7 since I am not getting any responses on here & can't install the old search 4.0 on win7.  Any suggestions are welcome as I really need answers to this. 
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:23 PM

Answers

• As the flat file includs many differnet file extensions, so it difficult to achieve with a tool, while you can try a script to achieve your aim, you can try to find a script file from the Script Center.

Good luck!
    John
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, January 25, 2010 9:57 AM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:12 AM
  • I know it is difficult to find the script file, you can try the total command program to manage your files, you can search any files in it as a workaround.
    John
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:07 AM

All replies

• Ok, here's what I have found out so far. 
    1. to get the search to work correctly, you have to add file extension (if not already added) file type to win7.
    2. open a file (through network, on server in my case), save the file on desktop of win7 machine. 
    3. Save the file back in server folder.

After this is done, Win7 searches fine & will find content within the files in that particular folder for that specific extension.  It's a bit pain-staking to go extension by extension & add to file type.  

Is there a way to load many extensions into file type at once instead of entering hundreds of them 1 at a time? 
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:11 PM
  • As the flat file includs many differnet file extensions, so it difficult to achieve with a tool, while you can try a script to achieve your aim, you can try to find a script file from the Script Center.

Good luck!
    John
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Thanks John, working on it.  I am trying to find a way to load all of our existing file types.....maybe a script as well, but haven't looked into that part too much yet.  Search seems to be getting better as I associate extensions, so at least it's functioning for now.  I will post any other updates I find.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:38 PM
  • I know it is difficult to find the script file, you can try the total command program to manage your files, you can search any files in it as a workaround.
    John
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:07 AM