Microsoft Word opens but then wont respond and closes again - Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a Windows 8 laptop and I bought and installed Microsoft Office. Originally it opened up and was working fine but all of a sudden it no longer opens documents and if you can get it to open then it immediately comes up saying its not responding and asks to close the application. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the applications and that hasn't helped at all so i'm now at a loss as to how I get Office to work again!

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 5:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding of the issue, I have a couple of questions:

• Which version Office did you purchase? Office 2013 pro or other?
    • Did you get a "stopped working" message when started any Office application?
    • Did you install some programs recently, such as anti-virus software?

Since you said >> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the applications and that hasn't helped at all <<, I suppose that this issue might be caused by some third-party add-ins/programs. Please try to start Office with safe mode to test:

https://support.office.com/en-my/article/Why-do-I-get-a-stopped-working-message-when-I-start-my-Office-application-52bd7985-4e99-4a35-84c8-2d9b8301a2fa?ui=en-US&rs=en-MY&ad=MY

Then, if this issue still exists, I recommend you download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs. 

Next, we also can check the event log that see if any more detailed error info logged.

I hope the above information helps. Reply with the result and I’ll be glad to further assist you.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by George123345 Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:43 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2015 6:21 AM