none
Do I have to reinstall packages from source to get the benefits of MKL? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

To get the speed benefits of the Intel MKL for contributed packages with Microsoft R Open, do I have to reinstall packages from source?  Or will the CRAN binaries use MKL automatically?  (Or, will the MRAN binaries use MKL, but CRAN binaries will not?)

That is, if I do this:

install.packages("data.table", type = "source")

will data.table functions run faster on MRO than if I just do this:

install.packages("data.table", type = "win.binary")

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question -- I'm an R end user, not someone who usually compiles things from source, so I don't know the ins and outs of the process.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Friday, May 10, 2019 3:32 PM

Answers

• No need to install packages from source. Packages from CRAN will automatically take advantage of MKL.

With respect to data.table, I think a lot of it is implemented with Rcpp, so you might not see any big changes. MKL mainly affects R code (calls to matrix, outer, etc.).

• Marked as answer by Jake Fisher Friday, May 10, 2019 8:32 PM
    Friday, May 10, 2019 6:32 PM

All replies

• No need to install packages from source. Packages from CRAN will automatically take advantage of MKL.

With respect to data.table, I think a lot of it is implemented with Rcpp, so you might not see any big changes. MKL mainly affects R code (calls to matrix, outer, etc.).

• Marked as answer by Jake Fisher Friday, May 10, 2019 8:32 PM
    Friday, May 10, 2019 6:32 PM
  • Thank you very much!

Friday, May 10, 2019 8:32 PM