Best practice for highly available management / publishing servers RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing a highly available appv 5.0 environment, which will deploy appv packages to a Xenapp farm.  I have two SQL 2012 servers configured as an availability group for the backend, and two publishing / management servers for the front end.  What is the best practice to configure the publishing / management servers for high availability?  Should I configure them as an NLB cluster, which I have tested and does seem to work, or should I just use the GPO to configure the clients to use both publishing servers, which I have also tested and appears to work?

Thanks,

Patrick Sullivan

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:00 PM

Answers

• In App-V 5.0 the Management and Publishing Servers are hosted in IIS, so use the same approach for HA as you would any web application.

If NLB is all that's available to you, then use that; otherwise I would recommend a proper load balancing solution such as Citrix NetScaler or KEMP LoadManager.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:34 PM

All replies

• In App-V 5.0 the Management and Publishing Servers are hosted in IIS, so use the same approach for HA as you would any web application.

If NLB is all that's available to you, then use that; otherwise I would recommend a proper load balancing solution such as Citrix NetScaler or KEMP LoadManager.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:34 PM
  • Thank you for your help Aaron.

- Patrick

Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:06 PM