none
IE 9 is not checking for Default Browser RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble with IE 9 not checking properly to see if it is the default browser.

When I open Internet Options -> Programs, it says IE is not my default browser, and there is a checkbox (checked) that says "Tell me if Internet Explorer is not my default browser"

IE is not warning me in this case that it is not the default broswer.  If I click on the Make Default, it does make IE the default browser, but if I open Firefox and let Firefox make itself the default broswer then when I open IE again, it doesn't offer to make IE the default browser EVEN THOUGH it shows me that IE is not my default browser AND I have checked the box to warn me when IE is not my default browser.

What gives?

Related topic...

I have been asked to make sure IE is the default browser on all computers and block users from changing this setting.  I see the first part where I can set all users to IE as the default, but there appears to be no way to block users from changing that setting once set.  I mean I can't figure out how to prevent Firefox, Chrome and others from taking over the default browser setting.

Monday, September 16, 2013 10:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

"I mean I can't figure out how to prevent Firefox, Chrome and others from taking over the default browser setting."

.... you can't.... not by a Group Policy setting....

Webkit and Gecko browsers have settings of their own to "Check if they are the default web browser".... I don't think you can centrally administer user settings....

The best you can do is use GPO for IE to "Always check if IE is the default web browser"...

mmm... at a pinch.... I have Commodo Dragon portable version installed on my hard drive... from the settings dialog I see that " This is a portable installation of Comodo Dragon, and cannot be made your default browser."

so if you install the Portable versions of other browsers to your workstations, then they can't hijack the default webbrowser windows setting. (commodo.com)

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

"I mean I can't figure out how to prevent Firefox, Chrome and others from taking over the default browser setting."

.... you can't.... not by a Group Policy setting....

Webkit and Gecko browsers have settings of their own to "Check if they are the default web browser".... I don't think you can centrally administer user settings....

The best you can do is use GPO for IE to "Always check if IE is the default web browser"...

mmm... at a pinch.... I have Commodo Dragon portable version installed on my hard drive... from the settings dialog I see that " This is a portable installation of Comodo Dragon, and cannot be made your default browser."

so if you install the Portable versions of other browsers to your workstations, then they can't hijack the default webbrowser windows setting. (commodo.com)

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:47 AM
  • I have accepted the things I cannot change.  I cannot prevent any alternative broswers from taking over the default browser, but I should still be able to have IE complain about it, and that is not working.

The problem is that when IE is not the default browser, IE is not asking to become the default browser even though the check to make sure IE is the default browser is enabled.

If I look in Internet Options, Windows is detecting that IE is not the default browser, but if I open IE it is not asking to become the default even though the check box says it should ask.

Friday, October 18, 2013 5:37 PM