none
Sub Domain to root domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I wonder if someone will be able to help, i am sorry if this is stupid question. I have an example domain abc.com hosted with hosting company which also host my public DNS. My active directory domain is call ad.abc.com, now I want to create a new subdomain called mail.abc.com how can I do that.

If i create a new A record in active directory under zone ad.abc.com new subdomain is called mail.ad.abc.com which i dont want how can I get around this. Please help

Thanks  

Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Hammer,

>> I have an example domain abc.com hosted with hosting company which also host my public DNS. My active directory domain is call ad.abc.com, now I want to create a new subdomain called mail.abc.com how can I do that.

According your description,you have a Forest:abc.com and want to add a new domain to this forest,you should check this link:

Install a New Windows Server 2012 Active Directory Child or Tree Domain

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574105.aspx

This topic explains how to add child and tree domains to an existing Windows Server 2012 forest, using Server Manager or Windows PowerShell.

Friday, June 10, 2016 3:11 AM
  • Thanks for your reply cartman, I believe I have caused confusion my forest root domain is ad.abc.com & I want to create a new subdomain called mail.abc.com how can I do that? If i create a new A record in active directory under zone ad.abc.com new subdomain is called mail.ad.abc.com which i dont want how can I get around this. Hope this is much more clear if not I will try again

Friday, June 10, 2016 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

>>I believe I have caused confusion my forest root domain is ad.abc.com

Well,in this case,you could perform a domain rename to change the foreset root domain name to abc.com,but it is complex and in a risk,before you do that please back up and having a test in your lab is prefered.

there are 2 workarounds:

1.You could create a new forest mail.abc.com,and establish forest trust between them.

Create a Forest Trust

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754626(v=ws.11).aspx

2.Use UPN suffix instead of changing your domain name.

Add User Principal Name Suffixes

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772007(v=ws.11).aspx

Friday, June 10, 2016 7:57 AM
  • If I am understanding you correctly, you are wanting to add a new DNS sub-domain, rather than a new Active Directory sub-domain.  If this is the case, you should be able to accomplish this not by adding a new A record, but in the same manner, right-click on the parent dns zone and select "New Domain".  You should be able to drill down to the new DNS domain and add your A records for that sub-domain from there.  Hope this helps.

Gary

Friday, June 10, 2016 8:18 PM
  • Hi Gary 

Thanks for the reply, see if this makes any sense. My Active directory domain is the subdomain of my public domain. So it is like this, public domain is "abc.com", and my AD domain is "ad.abc.com". 

I want to host an intranet website only accessible from inside, for which I want the URL to be intranet.abc.com.

If I create an A record 'intranet' on the domain ad.abc.com url is intranet.ad.abc.com which is not what I want, I want it to be intranet.abc.com.

I believe a new forward look zone will resolve the issue e.g. 'abc.com', I might be wrong or as cartman suggested in post above rename the active directory domain to abc.com which is then not M$ best practices of naming active directory domain name.  

Friday, June 10, 2016 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

>>believe a new forward look zone will resolve the issue e.g. 'abc.com'

Typically,a new zone for 'abc.com' with a A record 'mail' will  work for local DNS query.But it will create issue when client query other records in 'abc.com'.If your cilents do not have this requirement,you could create a new zone.

>>I want to host an intranet website only accessible from inside, for which I want the URL to be intranet.abc.com.

If you still want to resolve 'abc.com' and need only one URL 'mail.abc.com' for intranet,I prefer add a record to the hosts files for cilents.

Monday, June 13, 2016 8:05 AM
  • I believe better naming convention for the forest root domain would be abc.com rather what Microsoft suggest ad.abc.com because you can get into issues like this or may be as you suggested earlier I should use UPN.    
    Sunday, June 19, 2016 8:55 PM