Multiple OS's RRS feed

• Question

• i have computers with multiple OS platforms, will the WSUS server determine which systems need which updates?  The company had never had any updates critical or not to any of there systems.  This place is a hodgepodge of systems.  I still have some XP systems in my inventory!  I just need to know when I configure the GPO for the updates, will the WSUS filter which updates will go out to which systems?  I am the only tech this company has, and I could really use not having every computer user come up to me with a ton of failed updates.  Please Help
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 12:48 PM

Answers

• the windows update agent will determine and match up the required updates, whether against wsus or windows updates online and deploy only what matches the OS/SP versions

you will undoubtedly have failed updates, it happens from time to time but it won't try to install updates which will not apply to the OS, such as attempting to install win8 updates on win7 - that won't happen

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, November 9, 2015 6:05 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 1:19 PM

All replies

• the windows update agent will determine and match up the required updates, whether against wsus or windows updates online and deploy only what matches the OS/SP versions

you will undoubtedly have failed updates, it happens from time to time but it won't try to install updates which will not apply to the OS, such as attempting to install win8 updates on win7 - that won't happen

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, November 9, 2015 6:05 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

>>will the WSUS server determine which systems need which updates?

WSUS provides two services:

A database to let the client (WUA) find the suitable updates.

A website to allow the client to download the suitable updates.

As armin19 has explained, it's determined by WUA.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:45 AM