none
Bitlocker missing from Right-Click Context menu. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I use Win 7 x64 Ultimate. Had encrypted drive E: using Bitlocker (C: is System Partition, D:,E:,F: Fixed internal drives).

However, I recently noticed the lock icon on the encrypted drive has gone missing.

Even the Bitlocker right click context menu entry has disappeared from all drives.

On double clicking E: it says "E:\ is not accessible, access is denied."

I can still access the drive through control panel as well as elevated command prompt. Control panel BDE says bitlocker is on, on drive E:.

Disk Management reports all drives are healthy. Status of E: is "Healthy,Primary Partition", File System- Unknown(Bitlocker Encrypted).

Tried all basic measures to resolve the issue to no avail. Kindly help. 

• Edited by Pranay.D Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:39 PM
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To unlock a drive, you can try the command

manage-bde -unlock E: -pw

More detail information, you can check the following:

Manage-bde.exe Parameter Reference

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd875513(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_status

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:12 AM
  • Hi 

try this  to turn off my bit Locker but it says that
    "

ERROR: An attempt to access a required resource was denied

Check that you have administrative rights on the computer.

so what can i do now ?? please help me

Monday, January 7, 2013 3:56 PM
  • Hi Exilemizu,

In order to avoid confusion and keep track of issue, I recommend to keep working with your thread as link below:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/ed03bc43-aa52-4b62-a5df-56705bf5ca81/#ed03bc43-aa52-4b62-a5df-56705bf5ca81

Thank you for your understanding

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:15 AM
  • Hi Mr Wang,

Thanks fr the reply. The issue here isnt about opening the drive through command prompt. I am aware of the commands. 

I just want to know how to re integrate Bitlocker options to the right click context menu of the drives. 

Earlier the password to unlock drive would appear on double clicking. But now i have to do it via control panel or elevated cmd.

Thanks again

• Edited by Pranay.D Friday, January 18, 2013 2:12 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Thank you so much,

manage-bde -unlock E: -pw

This works very well!

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 6:47 AM
  • "Hi Mr Wang,

Thanks fr the reply. The issue here isnt about opening the drive through command prompt. I am aware of the commands. 

I just want to know how to re integrate Bitlocker options to the right click context menu of the drives. 

Earlier the password to unlock drive would appear on double clicking. But now i have to do it via control panel or elevated cmd.

Thanks again"

I have the same problem exactly. can some one answer this? we know how to open it. but why bitlocker option is not there in right click context menu or why it is not asking password on double click. 

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 1:48 PM
  • The problem begins when I started the Turbo mode of AVG PC Tune-up, in my case.
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 6:26 PM