none
Microsoft Print to PDF fails RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903)

I am trying to create a PDF file from a print window. I get configuration  error 0x8000ffff. This is happening after I upgraded to 1903.

8000ffff says a .NET 3.5 issue. So I re-installed .NET 3.5. I then unchecked in windows feature the Microsoft to PDf function, rebooted and tried to add it back. I now get error 0x899F0922.

Did Microsoft print to PDF die in the new build? What can I do to get this working?

John Lenz

Friday, November 8, 2019 6:23 PM

All replies

• The error codes you are getting are related to  .NET issues.

Kindly go through:

Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool

Manually fix Microsoft .NET Framework errors

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

• Proposed as answer by Kapil.AryaMVP Saturday, November 9, 2019 9:06 AM
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 1:13 AM
  • 0x8000ffff (E_UNEXPECTED) is not a .NET framework specific error!
    COR_E_XXX Exceptions start with 0x8013 (FACILITY_URT).
    So I wonder why you think this would have anything to do with .NET?
    If an old framework were really required for "Microsoft Print to PDF" , it would have been selected by default.
    On the 1903 system I tested, "Microsoft Print to PDF" works and .NET 3.5 is not enabled.

as this might be document specific: from what program did you print what?
    did you try the test page printing from the printer properties

• Edited by EckiS Saturday, November 9, 2019 10:06 AM
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 9:53 AM
  • on the system I use most often, I removed the print to PDF and now cannot re-install it. In "turn windows feature on or off", When I select print to PDF it goes through an installation and aborts with 0x800F0922.

On another win10 1903 system, When I go to properties of the Microsoft print to PDF object, I get a message that the printer driver is not installed. It asks if I want to install it (BTW, all these systems used print to PDF on the prior win 10 build). I say "yes" and choose print to PDF version 10.0.17763.1. The error message is unable to install Microsoft Print to Pdf Type 4 - User Mode x64 driver; Element not found.

I have used this feature on several of the Win10 system I have in the prior build with no problem.

What di I do to get this back functioning?

John Lenz

Saturday, November 9, 2019 4:29 PM
  • Ran the  tool, fixed 2 issues but Microsoft print to PDF object still fails to install, 0x800F0922

John Lenz

Saturday, November 9, 2019 4:34 PM
  • I tested disabling / reenabling the feature on Windows 10 1903 build 18362.449.
    There was no error, and Print to PDF still works. So its no general problem with 1903.

0x800F0922 seems to be a generic Windows installer error: 
    "CBS_E_INSTALLERS_FAILED Processing advanced installers and generic commands failed"
    so you could try:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 7:01 PM
  • You could try to use the -All parameter that may also install any required parent packages:

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -online -FeatureName Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features -All

You have to extract the following from Windows 10 IS0:

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -online -FeatureName Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features -All -Source "C:\SourceISO\sxs"

Another option reinstall Windows 10.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, November 10, 2019 3:11 PM
  • Tried DISM,. still failed.

I did find one on my win101903 systems where Print to PDF worked. A stop gap unitl I can fix this.

John Lenz

Sunday, November 10, 2019 7:07 PM
  • I tried both approaches

Both failed

I have worked in this arena for decades. This one is a hair puller. What is stopping iy?

John Lenz

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:50 PM
  • What was the error you received with:
    Dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:Microsoft-Windows-Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Package /All /Source:C:\SourceISO\sxs 

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 1:58 AM
  • Ran it; said feature name not recognized

Here is the log file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmoQ3UGkAIVBhcY8hqx4W8rsqiXlRg?e=fg1pgC 

I tried get-features like it said in the window but that Get-Features option is unknown error.

John Lenz

9 hours 23 minutes ago
  • Is the sources/sxs that you are using the one that comes with 1903? 1903 is pretty picky and does not seem to work with other Windows 10 Sources/sxs versions. 
    3 hours 20 minutes ago