Migration SOFTRICITY MSDE Databases To SQL 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have a few questions and i need your opinion.

Currently i have two distinct SoftGrid Platforms (version 4.1 SP1), one for the production and the other for the homologation.

Both have a MSDE datastore located on the SVAS server itself.

In order to increase the performances and to have a disaster recovery i want to migrate theses two database to my SQL server 2005. I googled and i found a procedure that details the migration process.

My problem is that there is two different msde databases with the same name = SOFTRICITY and instance = SOFTGRID.

Should I rename the database? If yes how could a do that?

Should I put these databases single on two different instance?

Br,

Bruno LV.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:10 AM

Answers

•  

I don't understand that word "homologation".  So I'll just assume it is a fancy word for your test bed.

Migrate the production only.  And then only if you must.  MSDE does not support some functions such as jobs (which performs cleanup operations) and I am unsure that a migration would do what you want.  More than likely, you should probably install a temp server and create the new, but mostly empty, database and then follow the migration procedures as best as you can.

Your test database can stay as is, or should be installed from scratch as a different instance and database name if it is to go on the same server.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:02 PM
  •  Bruno LV wrote:

Maybe, like you said, it's better to start from scratch but i have a lot of applications publishes under SoftGrid. Is there any tools that provide the ability to migrate SoftGrid applications smoothly from 1 "SoftGrid Farm" to another.

Yes, but you might not want to use it. It's called "Copy" operation inside SoftGrid Management Console (on Applications -node) which will copy all the application records over to another SoftGrid System that you have connected to with the console.

Two drawbacks with this:

1) It does not copy over ACLs so you need to define access rights for the apps after copying

2) It does not copy over physical package files (SFT, OSDs, ICOs etc.) so you need to set up replication/mirroring on your own

/Kalle

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Anybody can help me?

Bruno LV

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:52 PM
  •  

I don't understand that word "homologation".  So I'll just assume it is a fancy word for your test bed.

Migrate the production only.  And then only if you must.  MSDE does not support some functions such as jobs (which performs cleanup operations) and I am unsure that a migration would do what you want.  More than likely, you should probably install a temp server and create the new, but mostly empty, database and then follow the migration procedures as best as you can.

Your test database can stay as is, or should be installed from scratch as a different instance and database name if it is to go on the same server.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:02 PM
  • Thanks Tim for your answer.

Sorry for the word Homologation, it's french. it's like intergration.  Currenty we have 3 farms. 1 for the development, 1 for the integration (same as prod but not really prod) and 1 for the production. So the integration farm is important and is located on another site for Disater Recovery (it's our Citrix DR).

So i want to migrate to sql server for performances and to provide a DRP.

I don't understand your explanation about MSDE. You said that it not supports some functions. That's why i want to migrate. Why should the migration impact these functions?

Do you mean that if i migrate to sql server i'm not sure to take benefits of these functions like jobs?

Maybe, like you said, it's better to start from scratch but i have a lot of applications publishes under SoftGrid. Is there any tools that provide the ability to migrate SoftGrid applications smoothly from 1 "SoftGrid Farm" to another.

The last thing i want to expose is for my DRP. i want to configure Data Mirroring provided by SQL Server 2005 between my SoftGrid environments : Integration and Production. Do you thing it's possible?

Br,

Bruno LV

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:25 AM
  • Yes - I am afraid that you might not get the job cleanup functioning if you try to Micgrate from MSDE.  But I have never tried that, so who knows?

I am working on developing a migration package for the PimpMy add-on product line.  This would allow you to export from one database and import to another.  Unfortunately, it is not available yet.

Microsoft states that database replication (your mirroring question) is not supported.  There are stories of folks using "log shipping" to accomplish this, although I have not seen it done.  An export/import scheme avoids the issues that replication could cause.

Friday, April 25, 2008 7:28 PM
  •  Bruno LV wrote:

Yes, but you might not want to use it. It's called "Copy" operation inside SoftGrid Management Console (on Applications -node) which will copy all the application records over to another SoftGrid System that you have connected to with the console.

Two drawbacks with this:

1) It does not copy over ACLs so you need to define access rights for the apps after copying

2) It does not copy over physical package files (SFT, OSDs, ICOs etc.) so you need to set up replication/mirroring on your own

/Kalle

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:35 AM
  • Thanks a lot ksaunam.

I started from scratch and recreate all the softgrid environment.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:55 PM