none
Flag/Categorize a task RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, 

I am new to MS Project and I am trying to learn a bit more about it. 

I have a project and I would like to flag or categorize all task that are to be done in overtime. This does not mean they have been completed. But their planned to be performed in overtime.

I need to do this because often I need than to filter all tasks planned in overtime. I though that using a category so I can later filter could help.

Unless there is a more clever way to achieve this.

Thank you

Monday, August 25, 2014 12:19 PM

Answers

• There are "spare" custom fields in Project including a number of Flag fields.  Right click on any field (column) heading and select insert Column from the shortcut menu.  Select a flag field mark "yes" for any task using overtime.  If you have actually assigned overtime, you can add the Overtime Work field to a table and easily filter on that field.

You can also add a Text field (Text1 for example) and customize it is a Lookup field of you want ore than "yes" or "no".

I hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Lrbkm Monday, August 25, 2014 12:46 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 12:24 PM

All replies

• There are "spare" custom fields in Project including a number of Flag fields.  Right click on any field (column) heading and select insert Column from the shortcut menu.  Select a flag field mark "yes" for any task using overtime.  If you have actually assigned overtime, you can add the Overtime Work field to a table and easily filter on that field.

You can also add a Text field (Text1 for example) and customize it is a Lookup field of you want ore than "yes" or "no".

I hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Lrbkm Monday, August 25, 2014 12:46 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 12:24 PM
  • now that you mentioned Overtime Work.. I just remembered that I can use Overtime Work and Actual Overtime Work...

Is this as it reads.. Overtime Word is planned and Actual overtime work is what actual was performed?

The text field option work good. I can Edit and type my free text "yes" "No" without impacting anything else.

Monday, August 25, 2014 12:46 PM
  • You are correct.  Overtime work is specifically assigned on an assignment by assignment basis.  if you are assigning overtime during planning, saving a baseline will preserve that data.  You can then record actual overtime in the Task usage or Resource Usage views.
    Monday, August 25, 2014 3:46 PM