locked
Client installed and functioning, but still reporting as No RRS feed

  • Question

  • So we have most of our systems now reporting into SCCM successfully, but there are a few stubborn ones that I can't get to successfully report as Yes under the Client column. If I login to one of these machines, I can see that the client is installed and has all the correct information (all the tabs are there, the site code is correct, the actions tab is populated). I can even go to our app catalog and install software (it successfully passes the request to the software center and the app is installed with no issues), so it would appear the client is fully functional. Any ideas on why they won't report as such in SCCM? I've read through the ccmmessaging.log and the ClientIDManagerStartup.log and can't find anything out of the ordinary
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:52 PM

Answers

  • If you're still getting a duplicate SMSID even after uninstalling and deleting the SMS certificates there's a couple more things you can try after uninstalling:

    • Make sure the root\ccm namespace is gone from WMI and delete if it's still present
    • Make sure the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CCM and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS registry keys are gone and delete if still present
    • Delete the %WINDIR%\smscfg.ini file
    • Delete the machines from the All Systems collection

    After all of that, reinstall the clients and you should be fine.

    If you're still getting duplicate SMSIDs even after all of this, let me know and I can give you a few more suggestions but I'd be pretty surprised if this doesn't fix the issue for you.

    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:24 PM

All replies

  • Have you compared the SMS UUID  shown in the control panel applet to the resource in the console that you "think" is the corresponding resource? They probably don't match which means you are looking at the wrong resource.

    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Friday, November 23, 2012 12:08 AM
  • So how do I fix this? I've tried removing the resource from SCCM and re-running a full discovery, but when it comes back it's still showing as no client installed. When I check the properties of the resource, it doesn't show a GUID but it is pulling the proper IP address from the machine

    EDIT: So I think I found the root cause. I have two machines, EXCH01 and EXCH02. When I go into the Configuration Manager properties on each, they both have the exact same Unique Identifier. What is causing this?

    • Edited by acole83 Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:20 PM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Ok so I found out that EXCH02 was a duplicate VM of EXCH01 (these are old servers, we've since changed to using templates for new VM's). I've tried to force a GUID change using the process outlined here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrgeneral/thread/848ab5fd-6f27-4e41-a9b6-52cf1e7c60b5

    But no matter how many times I try, I cannot get the GUID to change on either machine. Uninstalling and reinstalling the client does nothing to help either. I'm at a loss now

    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:53 PM
  • Uninstall the client, delete the SMS certificates, reinstall the client.

    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:50 AM
  • Uninstall the client, delete the SMS certificates, reinstall the client.

    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com


    Tried that on both machines, they still both get the same GUID
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:44 PM
  • If you're still getting a duplicate SMSID even after uninstalling and deleting the SMS certificates there's a couple more things you can try after uninstalling:

    • Make sure the root\ccm namespace is gone from WMI and delete if it's still present
    • Make sure the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CCM and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS registry keys are gone and delete if still present
    • Delete the %WINDIR%\smscfg.ini file
    • Delete the machines from the All Systems collection

    After all of that, reinstall the clients and you should be fine.

    If you're still getting duplicate SMSIDs even after all of this, let me know and I can give you a few more suggestions but I'd be pretty surprised if this doesn't fix the issue for you.

    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Just for sanity, what "GUID" exactly are you talking about? There are a lot of unique IDs often referred to as GUIDs. I have never seen the SMS UUID not change after the certs.

    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:25 AM
  • Yes it is the SMS UUID I'm referring to. When I open the SMSCFG.ini on both machines, this is what I get:

    SMS Unique Identifier=GUID:9A083F03-0935-4C17-A392-8E59601915DE

    And that GUID has remained constant on both machines throughout all the steps I've tried. I'm going to try the steps that Adam outlined next, though I'm not sure how to remove the root\ccm namespace

    EDIT: Figured out the WMI stuff and Adam's procedure did the trick. Quite a lot of steps, but the two servers finally have different SMS UUID's. Thanks

    • Edited by acole83 Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:14 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:24 PM