none
Maximum size of VHDX file i can replicate. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm going to consolidate few file servers in one VM. Total size of VM should hit around 8-9TB. So my replication topology is following.

Primary and Replica servers are in same Subnet, Extended Replica server is in DR site (100mbps internal speed).

am i going to have any issues with replication, first of all from primary to replica and second from replica to extended replica server? 

I've never gone above 2TB VM replication before.

Please advise. 

Monday, February 10, 2020 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The maximum VHDX file size is limited to the NTFS file system, there shouldn't be any issues replicating your 8-9 TB virtual machine (VHDX).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/ntfs-overview

As for the replication may of course take some time, it would probably be better to run it during a weekend or during a maintenance, to reduce any potential slowness issues for your production/users.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Saturday, February 15, 2020 9:57 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2020 1:54 PM
  • Replication of 9TB shouldn't be a problem, if you have sufficient network bandwidth.
    Monday, February 10, 2020 2:24 PM
  • Hi M.Gablaia,

Thanks for your post!

Based on my understanding, you would like to replicate a big size VM to another Host. If I misunderstood it, please feel free to let me know.

1. Firstly, the hype V replication didn't have limitation of the VM size, it's mainly decided by the network bandwidth and the disk performance. So, for a large size VM replication via network, it will consume a lot of network resource.

2. As for the case, I would suggest you send the initial copy using external media when configure hyper V replica, so that we can save much network resource.

Below are the steps:

=============

Implement the Initial Copy

Proceed through the Enable Replication wizard and choose the Send Initial Copy Using External Media option. Browse to select the path where the production virtual machine will be exported to; this is the attached removable media. When you finish the wizard, two things will happen:

1. A stub replica virtual machine will be created in the secondary site with no disks.
    2. A checkpoint (Hyper-V snapshot) will be created of the running production virtual machine and this is used to export the files to the removable media. The files of the virtual machine are stored in a unique sub-folder.

Replication has not started yet. Transport the removable media to the secondary site, Launch Hyper-V Manager, browse to the sub replica virtual machine, right-click on it, and select Replication > Import Initial Replica. You will need to enter the path of the subfolder that contains the exported files.

Once completed, replication will automatically start and your production site virtual machine is protected in the secondary site.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 6:12 AM
  • Thanks a lot, i was thinking about sending initial copy on external media to DR site.

Everyone thanks for your feedback, this topic can be closed now.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 6:45 AM
  • You’re welcome!

You may mark the replies that you’ve found helpful as answer to close the thread.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 6:46 AM
  • Hi M.Gablaia,

Thanks for your feedback!

You are welcome, if you have any further concerns about it, please feel free to let us know, if you would like to end this thread, please help to mark the useful post as answer.

Thanks for your cooperation. :)

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:55 AM
  • Hi M.Gablaia,

Greetings!

I am writing to check if you have done the steps to replicate the VMs using external media, is everything running well? If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know. 

If not, would you please mark the useful reply as answer so that the information can be highlighted for others' reference.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Best Regards,

Anne

Saturday, February 15, 2020 2:06 AM