none
DPM sizing RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to know if there is any piece of information about dpm scalability with sql express. what i've found out is pretty generic and the xls sizing tool didn't help me either.

am i supposed to use sql express limits (10gb max db size)?

Friday, December 28, 2012 10:24 AM

Answers

• HI,

DPM 2012 installs SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition during a default installation. There is no requirement for using dedicated remote SQL server, however In DPM2012 we now have the ability to share a single instance in a remote SQL server.  Some customers do that because they have dedicated SQL dba and want tighter control of sql servers.

As for exchange, the limit is probably going to be the storage requirements, so the storage calculator is probably accurate.  Should you need further help with that open a new post in DPM exchange protection forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 28, 2012 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not understanding your question, are you asking for a storage calculator for protecting SQL express databases ?

Please review this page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399599.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 28, 2012 4:29 PM
  • the question is:

what's the limit up to which i can use sql express? and when have i to use a sql server dedicated instance?

with dpm 2012 what's the limit with Exchange protection? is it 80tb and/or 10k mailbox? ( if i use the dpm calculator i get only 2 dpm servers needed to protect 50k users with 120tb data)

thank you

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:58 PM
  • HI,

DPM 2012 installs SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition during a default installation. There is no requirement for using dedicated remote SQL server, however In DPM2012 we now have the ability to share a single instance in a remote SQL server.  Some customers do that because they have dedicated SQL dba and want tighter control of sql servers.

As for exchange, the limit is probably going to be the storage requirements, so the storage calculator is probably accurate.  Should you need further help with that open a new post in DPM exchange protection forum.

Friday, December 28, 2012 6:41 PM
  • Thank you Mike.

i was wondering about the sql  edition because of the xls sizing tool. i'm sizing the dpm solution for an environment with 10k users, mailbox database size 569gb and 9833 average transaction logs per db and a total of 12 db per server. in the dpm requirements section of the tool i get a requirement for the DPM config db of 17.6gb that exceeds sql express limits. i've tried to change the size of the mailbox databases to 5690GB and what i've got is a requirement for the DPM config DB of 8.8GB. very odd, i guess it's a bug of the tool, even because in real life the DPM config db for 10k users is generally less than 1GB. any tought about this?

i will go with the sql express edition for my dpm solution.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:49 AM
  • The Sql 2008 standard edition that is installed by default does not require any extra license, so stay with standard edition.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:28 PM