none
Problems moving Protected Server to second DPM 2012 server

Question

• Hello All,

Hopefully someone can help me, I have one DPM 2012 server, and the LDM is running at 89% so we decided to create a new one and transfer some of the Datasources to it.  The issue that we are running into is that when I try to protect the servers on the new DPM server I get the following error:

You have chosen to protect replicas on another DPM server (primary DPM server).

We recommend that you protect the DPM database of the primary DPM server along with the replicas. Without protecting the DPM Database, you will not be able to recover the replicas of the primary DPM server in case of a disaster where the DPM Database and the replicas are lost.

And then:

One or more of the selected data sources are already configured for protection on the primary DPM server. When you switch back protection, the replicas of these data sources will be protected from the primary DPM server. (ID: 31162)

I have removed all of the replicas from the original server, have un-installed the protection agent and re-installed it from the new DPM server.  The active owner is the new server.  Does anyone know how I can cleanly just move the protection from one DPM server to another?

Kind Regards,

Sean Buckle

Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:59 PM

Answers

• HI,

We have customer facing documentation stating that the above senarios are not supported.

See COMMUNITY COMMENT under the following technet article:

Setting up DPM Chaining
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg410636.aspx

Under the heading: "Moving protected servers between DPM servers while under secondary protection is not supported"

If you call MS support, they can clean up secondary DPM server to allow it to be re-protected.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:06 PM