Dial Plan Hierarchy? RRS feed

• Question

• We have Lync deployed with multiple branch sites (SBA's).  Currently we have a Site-level dial plan for each branch.  I'm finding that the Global dial plan is never referenced by users in these branches.  For example, I have a translation rule in the Global plan for extension dialing.  Branch PCs/phones aren't normalizing extensions unless I include the same translation rule in the Site-level dial plan.  I thought that Lync checked the more specific dial plan first, then worked its way up to the Global plan if a translation rule was not found, but this doesn't seem to be the case. 

Should users in a Site-level dial plan ever reference the Global plan?  Management and duplication of translation rules to every Site plan would be a pain if this wasn't the case, so I'm hoping I've just missed something.

Thanks,

Kevin Clark

Friday, August 5, 2011 1:06 AM

Answers

• Dial plans application isn't cumulative.  The order of preference is as follows:  User, pool, site, global.  User has the highest priority and global has the lowest.  If the dial plan the user is a member of doesn't have a matching translation rule, then the call will simply fail.

Ken

• Proposed as answer by Jamie Schwinn Friday, August 5, 2011 2:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by kclark_clearp Friday, August 5, 2011 3:21 PM
    Friday, August 5, 2011 1:30 PM

All replies

• Dial plans application isn't cumulative.  The order of preference is as follows:  User, pool, site, global.  User has the highest priority and global has the lowest.  If the dial plan the user is a member of doesn't have a matching translation rule, then the call will simply fail.

Ken

• Proposed as answer by Jamie Schwinn Friday, August 5, 2011 2:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by kclark_clearp Friday, August 5, 2011 3:21 PM
    Friday, August 5, 2011 1:30 PM
  • A dial plan’s scope determines the hierarchical level at which the dial plan can be applied. In Lync Server 2010, a user can be assigned a specific per-user dial plan. If a user dial plan is not assigned, the Registrar pool dial plan is applied. If there is no Registrar pool dial plan, the site dial plan is applied. Finally, if there is no other dial plan applicable to the user, the global dial plan is applied.

Clients obtain dial plan scope levels through in-band provisioning settings provided when users log on to Lync Server. As the administrator, you can manage and assign dial plan scope levels using Lync Server Control Panel.

Find here the link to the full document regarding dial plans:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg413082.aspx

Best regards,

Mark

Friday, August 5, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Thanks everyone.  I had thought that Lync would work its way up through the hierarchy, but Ken's explanation confirms it doesn't.  Unfortunate, since we have to duplicate rules that should be common to each site.

I appreciate your help!

Kevin Clark

Friday, August 5, 2011 3:23 PM