none
Upgrade from Project Server 2003 to 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are upgrading from Project Server 2003 to 2010 via Microsoft VME. I am getting error while provisioning the PWA in 2010. Please suggest.

I am using DB Attach Core Upgrade. I am following ProjectServerAll.docx document supplied by Microsoft.

I have done following steps:

1. In Project Server 2003:   a) Ran Verification Scripts > (b) Migrated Enterprise Global using migration scripts.
    2. Just want to migrate Enterprise Global to 2010 and see how it looks...
    3. Took backup of 4 databases in VME...ProjectServer_Draft, Published, Reporting and Archive
    4. Restored above 4 dbs in Project Server 2010 Database Server overwriting the existing dbs
    5. Provision PWA Site in 2010... 

When I try to provision PWA site in 2010, I get the following error:

The database specified is already used by another project server. Enter a different server or database name and try again.

I think, at some point, I need to detach or delete the existing PWA site in 2010, before restoring DBs on top of the existing DBs...I didnt find that step in the document...

Please suggest...what I am missing...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Kishore Dodda

Kishore Dodda
    Monday, February 28, 2011 5:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes I would imagine the existing PWA instance would no longer work as a result of the restore over the top. You should be able to delete the existing broken PWA instance via Central Administration > Manage Service Applications > Project Server Service Application, hover over the broken PWA instance name and choose delete. This will remove the instance, but not the databases. If you wish, you can then manually remove the 4x Project Server db's and the content db that contains the PWA site (as long as there is nothing else in there).

You should be able to restore the databases from the VME once again into your database and provision a new PWA site via CA, using the names of the databases restored.

Let us know how you go,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi, Restoring the updated databases over the top of an existing PWA site databases is not a supported scenario as far as I am aware. The best approach is either to delete your existing PWA instance, restore the databases and then provision a new one, or restore your databases with different names like new_ProjectServer_Published, new_ProjectServer_Archive etc and provision a new PWA instance with a different name (i.e. not PWA). Hope this helps,
    Alex Burton
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, February 28, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Alex,

Thank you for your time and response. Thats what I was wondering, in the document supplied by Microsoft (ProjectServerAll.doc), I saw overwrite existing DB while restoring DBs, but nothing is mentioned about detaching the Content DBs for the existing PWA...

Now that, I have restored DBs over the existing PWA instance, I think, damage is happened...I am unable to connect to PWA either...so, is there a way to delete the existing PWA and then recreate/provision PWA with these restored DBs?

Please suggest.

Regards,

Kishore Dodda

Kishore Dodda
    Monday, February 28, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

Yes I would imagine the existing PWA instance would no longer work as a result of the restore over the top. You should be able to delete the existing broken PWA instance via Central Administration > Manage Service Applications > Project Server Service Application, hover over the broken PWA instance name and choose delete. This will remove the instance, but not the databases. If you wish, you can then manually remove the 4x Project Server db's and the content db that contains the PWA site (as long as there is nothing else in there).

You should be able to restore the databases from the VME once again into your database and provision a new PWA site via CA, using the names of the databases restored.

Let us know how you go,

Alex Burton
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Thank you Alex, it worked.

I did following:

• removed Project Server Service Application
    • removed all the DBs as well (Just in case).
    • And restored DBs again from VME
    • Provisioned PWA with these newly restored DBs

I think, the content in ProjectServerAll.doc is little bit confusing...for the first timers. I guess...

Regards,

Kishore Dodda

Kishore Dodda
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:04 AM