Using WSUS with Reference Image RRS feed

• Question

• We are using MDT 2010 and WSUS in our environment. I edited the customsettings.ini file with my internal WSUS server and my regular machine builds are using it correctly.

However, I'm now trying to create a Reference image while still using the internal WSUS method for patching and its failing with error "-2147012721 0x80072F8F: Windows Update, search for updates".

So the WSUS process is working when creating a regular build but not when I am trying to create a Reference image. I'm thinking it might have to do with the fact that during my regular build process I am adding the computer to the Domain, while when creating the Reference image I am adding it to a Workgroup. I'm not sure if the computer can use our internal WSUS server if it's in a Workgroup and not the Domain. Does this WSUS method not work for creating Reference images or does anyone know how to get it working?

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:52 AM

Answers

• Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Check the WindowsUPdate.log file for the root cause.

A quick google search suggests that you may need to verify the date/time. Keep digging.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:37 AM

All replies

• Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Check the WindowsUPdate.log file for the root cause.

A quick google search suggests that you may need to verify the date/time. Keep digging.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:37 AM
  • It could have something to do with the certificate? When I use our internal WSUS server with non-domain-joined computers, I need to add the certificate for the WSUS server to the trusted root for it to work.

Like Keith said, the log file should indicate if this is the case anyhow.

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:24 AM