none
Database Mirroring will be removed from SQL Server 2016? RRS feed

• Question

• My colleague told me that, he asked someone from Microsoft, that database mirroring will be removed from Sql Server 2016. But I checked the online document, it just mentions mirroring in "Features Not Supported in a Future Version of SQL Server - The following SQL Server Database Engine features are supported in the next version of SQL Server, but will be removed in a later version. The specific version of SQL Server has not been determined.", even the Sql Server 2017 online document also says the same thing. So can I continue using mirroring on Sql Server 2016 and 2017?

• Edited by nonno Monday, March 12, 2018 9:30 AM hyperlink wrong
    Monday, March 12, 2018 9:29 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can continue using Database Mirroring in SQL Server 2016 and 2017. The standard disclaimer for "to be deprecated" features (such as mirroring) are that they are still available in the current version, but future/new development should not be invested in these features because they might be removed in future versions.

That being said, since Always On Availability Groups were introduced in SQL Server 2012, the customer sites that I support have migrated everything away from mirroring and log shipping to AGs over the past several years. The SQL Server product team is improving AGs significantly with each release, so you will probably want to start thinking about a potential move away from mirroring to AGs sometime soon.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/

Twitter - @SQLSamLester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by nonno Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:12 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2018 1:32 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can continue using Database Mirroring in SQL Server 2016 and 2017. The standard disclaimer for "to be deprecated" features (such as mirroring) are that they are still available in the current version, but future/new development should not be invested in these features because they might be removed in future versions.

That being said, since Always On Availability Groups were introduced in SQL Server 2012, the customer sites that I support have migrated everything away from mirroring and log shipping to AGs over the past several years. The SQL Server product team is improving AGs significantly with each release, so you will probably want to start thinking about a potential move away from mirroring to AGs sometime soon.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/

Twitter - @SQLSamLester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by nonno Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:12 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2018 1:32 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, Sam. Actually we will setup a SQL Server 2016 Standard edition FCI on our production site (FCI is required by our customer), but we also need a synchronized resilience database server on the disaster recovery site, that's where I consider to use mirroring. If I use AG instead of mirroring, then I need to setup a WSFC between the production FCI and the resilience server, and one more cluster node is required to form a quorum, so where should I put that one more cluster node?
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:30 AM