none
P10 - Schedule Template Formatting lost RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this in the Professional forum and they said to post it here....

I am using Professional 2010 and Project Server 2010.  I format the fonts and colors on a schedule, save it as a template on the Project Server.  When I re-open Professional and open the template, the formatting is all gone.  However, same computer, same Professional, DIFFERENT Project Server - I save the template and when I re-open it the formatting is still there.  I am an administrator on both sites so I am quite sure it isn't permissions.  I don't see what the difference might be between the two servers though to determine why the formatting isn't staying when opening the template.  Any thoughts?

Collin

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:04 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Collin,

seems that Gantt View and Gantt with Timeline views had been added to Enterprise Global by mistake on your first server.

You can check this:

• Take an administrative backup of your Enterprise Global in Server Settings (just in case ...)
    • Open Enterprise Global (either from Server Settings or from within Project client in File - Info - Manage Global Template - Open Enterprise Global)
    • Open Organizer: File - Info - Manage Global Template - Organizer
    • Ensure that Checked-Out Enterprise Global is selected on one side. There you should only be able to find views, with something like Enterprise or team in their name or views defined by any of your project server administrators. Local views should not appear there. If they are there (like Gantt View or Gantt with Timeline), you need to decide, if you want to delete or rename them or want to think about. As long as they are in there, you will not be able to save any formatting on these views.

Just an information: If Enterprise Global is open and you apply any view, this view, including table, group and filter) will be added to Enterprise Global automatically.

Note: any applied formatting will only be kept on local views and only on the view, you did this change. When you colored a task in one view, it will not be colored in any other view.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you create a template, any formatting will be lost when you are doing this on a view of Enterprise Global. They will be kept when you use a local view.

So I assume the difference is caused by your Default view for your different profiles: In the profile for one server Default View is set to a global view, in the other to a local view. If you want your formatting to be kept, you have several options:

• Change view to a local one before starting customization.
    • Change Default View to a local one (File - Options - General - Project View). So this will be your default view after re-starting Project client.
    • Create a copy of the global view (to get a local view).

I think the first possibilty is the easiest one, and should be sufficient in your case.
    Does that help?
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:37 AM
  • HI Barbara,

Thanks for the answer but that didn't resolve the issue.  It still works on one profile and not the other.  To clarify - I am talking specifically about the font formatting (making a row green, highlighting another row, making another row italicized) and not the columns or anything else custom.  Also, I had others test it on the each of the systems (I am the only person with access to both as these are different organizations).  And, it is consistent that the people in organization A do NOT get the customizations when opening the template but the people in organization B DO get the customization.

Collin

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:26 PM
  • Hi Collin,

if it is not related to usage of Enterprise Global views (have you tried with using a local view for formatting?), I can only think of BCM? Are you running instance A in Backwards mode (migrated instance)?

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the quick reply!  I looked at BCM, it was not on for either instance.

The local view thing might be part it....but I am not sure how that is working/not working for me. 

Here is what I did before my last response - I changed the view to local and opened the temlate and did not get my formatting 

So, what I did this time was create a NEW view locally, called it local view and changed the formatting and saved to server as template.  When I open that from the server, the formatting stays but ONLY in local view.  As soon as I change to Gantt with Timeline view or Gantt view, the formatting is gone. 

However, when I go to Server B and did the same thing I get the formatting regardless - I change to Gantt View or Gantt with Timeline view and the formatting holds up just fine.

So, it is acting like one server does what you originally thought it would - holds the formatting in the local view only.  The other server holds the formatting in the enterprise views.

Collin

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:54 PM
  •  

Hi Collin,

seems that Gantt View and Gantt with Timeline views had been added to Enterprise Global by mistake on your first server.

You can check this:

• Take an administrative backup of your Enterprise Global in Server Settings (just in case ...)
    • Open Enterprise Global (either from Server Settings or from within Project client in File - Info - Manage Global Template - Open Enterprise Global)
    • Open Organizer: File - Info - Manage Global Template - Organizer
    • Ensure that Checked-Out Enterprise Global is selected on one side. There you should only be able to find views, with something like Enterprise or team in their name or views defined by any of your project server administrators. Local views should not appear there. If they are there (like Gantt View or Gantt with Timeline), you need to decide, if you want to delete or rename them or want to think about. As long as they are in there, you will not be able to save any formatting on these views.

Just an information: If Enterprise Global is open and you apply any view, this view, including table, group and filter) will be added to Enterprise Global automatically.

Note: any applied formatting will only be kept on local views and only on the view, you did this change. When you colored a task in one view, it will not be colored in any other view.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Thanks Barbara,

I will try that this evening and let you know how it goes!

Collin

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:58 PM
  • Yes.  That was the trick!  Thanks for your help and multiple responses!

Collin

Friday, April 6, 2012 5:19 PM